Pickles - That Little Bit Of Heaven If You Are A Foodie..

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Shanvy, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

View attachment 201878 Pickles and me were always inseperable. Pickles were life savers during those hostel days when food was just something you gobbled to keep that acidity and hunger away. On weekends, a bunch of us used to cook rice, sprinkle that dal powder, a liberal spooning of oil and that yummy fiery spicy pickle used to complete the meal. Who cared about the absence of a side dish or vegetables..
    Time flew, health issues cropped up and so did restrictions. No pickles, no salt , no oil and what not but the longing for that little bit of heaven never goes..what do you do to compensate for the yearning chutneys, and other preparation do come in to rescue but they are never in par with the real thing.. I even went to the extent of manipulating and tweaking the traditional avvakkai to reduce the oil,salt and succeeded to a large extent, but still it was a restricted food.
    Slowly I started fiddling with vegetables, ginger and other ingredients to come up with ideas of healthier version of the tangy,salty,spicy feel..(not close to that bit of heaven), And guess what, the little info that I gleaned on wiki made it look guilt-free.

"Traditionally manufactured pickles are source of healthy probiotic microbes, which occur by natural fermentation in brine (salt+water), but pickles produced using vinegar are not probiotic. Beneficial bacteria grow in salt water and sour mixture and make traditional pickle probiotic"

Coming to pickling vegetables..

Ingredients :
    ! cup of mixed vegetables.
    3 tblsp of lime juice
    1 tblsp of ginger juilienes..
    1 tsp of salt.
    2/4 chillies nicely diced..
    (2 tbslp of chana) – optional. Wash it before using.
    (mango ginger- seasonal) - optional

View attachment 201876

Mix all the ingredients, allow the vegetables to soak and steep in the liquids .ensure you mix it well. You can start having from day one , if you don’t mind the very raw crisp taste of vegetables. The real enjoyment starts on day 3 when they sour,spices and everything nice is absorbed by the vegetables …yumm. And the well soaked chana tastes divine..
    If you are prone to acidity, do make in very less quantity and consume within 4 days. More than that will make the solution very acidic and may or may not be to your taste.

Amla can be pickled in the same way, the pictures are self explanatory..
    View attachment 201877
    . You can pickle just ginger juilienes and dry them well and stock it, it can be used as a digestive after meals..

When you are pushed to the bottom the only way is up..similarly you tend to find new options when you are pushed to so many restrictions as me..

Do enjoy.:coffee

P.S. though nothing related to the pickle but is really important if you dabble with a kitchen or container gardening or gardening.. View attachment 201879

yes the peels that resulted from some of the above used..what do i do with this..give them a second chance..(could not resist that title of the book looked good next to that !!!!:yes:)

Curious??? check it out here

A word of caution: Please use glass bottles, jars or ceramic pickle jars if possible.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy mam, now you can say I'm stalking you(r) (posts):mrgreen:.

My family is basically not a pickle favouring one and very recently I have tasted aavakay for the first time ever in life. But from your latest thread - lunch ideas, this pickle too my interest and was waiting for you post it. Thanks for sharing it with us. This is going to be my next weekend experiment or tomorrow if I'm allowed to.

Btw one doubt, Chana - that white-wala chana is visible but can one use that brown chana.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Pallavi,

i don't mind these sweet stalkings love.

i never thought lunch ideas will draw in so many like minded friends. yes you can use both. but to be honest white tastes more yum than the brown according to the kids.

and the green ones mutter peel was for a sabji yaar.. just got into this.even when i clicked i knew somebody was going to ask..see how confident i am of the people around me, but then did not remove them..

I actually peel wash, pat dry and freeze mutter.

4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Thanks mam.

After posting the fb, I re-read and noticed that peels have nothing to do with the pickles... :bonk it happens with me always.... and edited the fb, and you have already replied :)

And I love mutter, if allowed I would add it in everything & anything, so that could not miss my eyes.

5. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

shanvy
    thank you for the post.
    I had the same doubt as pallavi,regarding the channa.will try both nd see

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

It happens, i tend to do that too..

i do love mutter..and this season we have some good bargains and i buy in 2/3 kgs lot peel and freeze. i also keep munching on raw ones while i peel..bad habit but can't stop, all those tender ones definitely end up in my mouth...hugsmiley

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Try it varhem. though i prefer white here, for regular use it is always brown that edges over because of hte extra benefits..

8. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi Akka,

Thanks for the great post...will surely try in this holiday season..and warm with all good things in the pickle :)

Sravani

9. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Wow that is a fantastic and clear explanation of the process of veggie pickle, i actually wanted in this way for me (spoon-feeding) edha edha edhathan naan yethirparthen !! :)

i have a doubt madam,
    But what is the shelf life actually, only 4 days? or we can refrigerate for some other days? if so how many....pls clarify...

Thanks a lot............for your effort of explaining the process even in your busy schedule....it is awesome....will definitely do that and msg you. :) bye

10. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

shanvy,

your pickle receipt made to taste your blog with mild
    spicy salty and delicious. Tks for sharing