Pickle Business

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by adisum, Dec 19, 2016.

1. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

Keeping it short, i just want to get some ideas on how one can start a pickle business from home. My mother is not so great in making pickles ( we use to get it from my paternal and maternal grandmother).

My mother just put this idea in front of me to start her own pickle business from home ( on a small scale first) . I am kind of blank on how to build a market for this ? like from where we can start selling it? we are working on the recepie currently so as to present the perfect and tasty pickles. But where should we go first for its marketing ?

Note: Cant take my father's help, he thinks my mother cant do anything and always speak negative on new ideas.

Please ladies if any one of you is in this kind of home business or you know someone of this sort, get some ideas to help me. Thank u in advance :)

2. jaivini

jaivini Senior IL'ite

Homemade pickles business is nice idea. You can start on small scale and you can grow it.

adisum likes this.
  3. jaivini

jaivini Senior IL'ite

I you need any help of suggestions. I will like today help you. You can sell sample packets to your neighbor. Office member. Shopkeeper, If they like it then they can give you order. Don't worry. You're business will run well. Don't worry. Think positive and start.

adisum likes this.
  4. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

First start with giving few samples to neighbors , hostels , Canteens , local shop keepers
    if feasible tie up with local shop keepers / local super market after margin basis..
    U can tie up also with canteens who provide food in office/colleges
    Dont go with so many varieties initially .. start with 1 - 2 varieties.. n upon response only invest much ..

adisum likes this.
  5. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

few more...
    If u r initially opting for 2 flavors ..
    Start 1 with common flavor.. n 1 with unique flavor.. U can also give samples in local fairs etc ..

Also check abt packaging .. U may need jars / poly bag..

Give nice unique name to ur pickles ..

hope it helps

6. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear.... my mom was thinking same. we are starting off this green chilly pickle the common one and garlic onion pickle which is not so common in our region. I hope we will be able to take it to a good level...

7. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Do u have any idea how can we set off the margin on our product. I am not sure if i vl b able to manage the profits part... need help in that, how to calculate it ?

8. adisum

adisum Gold IL'ite

Thanku so much sweetie... your fb has given me positive energy to start a new chapter in me and my mom's life... my mom is very excited and hopeful for this business idea... and i really wish that we get the success we deserve on this..

your idea of giving samples first is amazing... do the samples will be given for free ? i guess yes but just conforming

9. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

let me try with green chilly pickle .. few prices are on assumption basis.. as i m not actually aware with recipe of green chilly pickle

Say for 1 KG green chilies - 40 Rs ( I m giving u mumbai retail rates ) .. U have to identify where u can buy in good quantity and quality and cheap rates..

lets assume U need 500 ml oil - 40 rs

Salt ( 250 gms ) - 5 rs

Few spices - may be 150 rs

LPG Gas - may be 15-20 mins

packaging polybags small material - 30 rs for 250gms of polybag

So total cost of ur product is 40+40+5+150+20+30 = 285

So calculate weigh of ur pickle.. definitely u cannt go with assumption..

U have to weigh accordingly .. now check green chilly pickle prices ( branded and store brand shops in ur area ) for 100 gms ( box as well polybag packets ) as..

accordingly u can set competitive prices for ur pickle.. u need sticker also on polybag top

So decide accordingly .. so that atleast initial cost must be recovered..