Pet Suggestion Please

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by VijayaRaghu, Apr 3, 2018.

What do you choose

1. Birds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rabbit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VijayaRaghu

VijayaRaghu Silver IL'ite

Can you please suggest Pet for 2 bed room apartment. My Kids are so desperate for PET. So thinking of a bird or rabbit or any other suggestions please.....excluding FISH....CATS, DOGS, Reptiles, Hamster.

This will be my daughters 4th b'day gift....so looking for something that can be affordable, a little easy maintenance and friendly for kids.

TIA.

Regards,
    Vijaya

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Does your apartment allow rabbits? They can be challenging to keep in an apartment as they need room to move around every day outside their enclosure. I'd look into adopting a rabbit if you decide to get one. A lot of people will be giving theirs to shelters and rabbit rescues after Easter.

VijayaRaghu likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

And rabbits generally don't like being picked up and cuddled, if that's important.

VijayaRaghu likes this.
  4. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Get a macaw or a parakeet type of bird.
    My neighbor has one big yellow gold macaw, it's a great pet , greets , calls kids name.
    It's little easy to maintain. But the birds are vocal , they make noise. Check with apartment pet policy.

VijayaRaghu likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Macaws and parrots are very long lived birds, often living a human lifespan. And some of them can be very expensive. A budgie or cockatiel is more affordable.

VijayaRaghu likes this.
  6. VijayaRaghu

VijayaRaghu Silver IL'ite

@MalStrom , agree with this statement: And rabbits generally don't like being picked up and cuddled, if that's important.

@Vedhavalli & @MalStrom , yeah I am thinking about parakeet. Need to visit near by PET store on availability. Hope will find something.

7. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

I had heard birds poop a lot and have to clean frequently .is it true

8. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

why not the ones in the exlucded list ? My niece and nephew have a hamster , fish and a dog

VijayaRaghu likes this.
  9. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

If you must teach your kids to be kind to birds and animals do this : buy a couple of birds. Bring them home. Release from your balcony. Birds are meant to fly. Not be caged for our entertainment. If at all you must get one, why not a bird that has been injured and can no longer fly ? Check with a local rescue organization for injured or maimed birds that can be maintained indoors.

Domesticated pet animals like cats, dogs and rabbits are more adaptable to living indoors. In this case as well, try to adopt rescued animals instead of purchasing from a pet shop. So many abused animals are in dire need of homes.

Overall my point is - Do not just think about yielding to your children's demands. But use this experience to teach valuable lessons on compassion, and kindness.

VijayaRaghu and Sandycandy like this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I certainly don't approve of caged birds but releasing an exotic bird from the pet store may not be the best idea. Most of these birds are not in their natural environment and will not be able to survive in the outdoors. I had a beautiful green budgie appear at my bird feeder last summer. He must have escaped from someone's house. He would fly away every time we tried to get near and I sadly found him dead after 3 days.

VijayaRaghu and Sandycandy like this.