Personal Security While On A Trip Abroad

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Nonya, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Bravo my friend!:clap2::clap2:

Sandycandy and Sunburst like this.
  2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Third World - Wikipedia
    [​IMG]
    The "three worlds" of the Cold War era, as of the period between April 1975 and August 1975. First World: United States, United Kingdom and their allies. Second World: Soviet Union, China, and their allies. neutral and non-aligned countries.

In the picture, the above scheme is in blue, red and green colors. While how the terminology started was about military-political alliances, it later evolved into reference to poor countries as the 3rd world. Many of the countries coloured green in the map are no longer poor (based on percapita income of their populations), and perhaps the quality of life of their citizens.

As we see in responses of this thread, anxiety and fear about where one goes for holidays or visits varies.

3. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Thank you. I generally ignore such posts that have no real meaningful substance in it other than the usual bashing of India, it's people, it's culture that people think it makes them look oh so cool . However , sometimes I do get riled up when I hear words like third world country , hence the reaction .:grinning:.

Sandycandy, Naari and Puttabbay like this.
  4. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the generosity !!!!

Sandycandy and Naari like this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Most of us on this site are born and brought up In India and most are not worried about traveling to India not I live in fear praying for safety of my loved ones.

I live in west now and definitely avoid downtown areas at night and will never step in some parts of the city because crime rates are higher.

When traveling to any place we need to be aware of surrounding and be cautious , simple

Sandycandy and Vedhavalli like this.
  6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

The original post would have elicited more thoughtful, helpful, useful and enthusiastic responses, had it been worded a tad bit differently - perhaps something like this:

"When one of my dears, especially a young one, heads of to India for travel and adventure, I worry, my head filled with all the stuff I come across in newspapers and online. I tend to insist on daily contact (skype, phone, email etc...) and depend on a lot of prayers. How do you all deal with somone going off to India - say for example your teenage children who were born and brought up abroad? Do you feel safe in India? Do you have any special tips or suggestions, any precautions you would take to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip, for dealing with endemic illnesses etc.?"

As it stands, that post does carry a whiff of snark - unintentional maybe.:cool:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    vaidehi71 likes this.
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

This is somewhat disingenuous. No matter how the term originated, it has been perceived as reductive and pejorative* for quite a long time, which is why it morphed into "developing countries", itself reductive in a different way, and a term now on the road to oblivion.

Also see: Third World Britain? That's an aspiration, not an insult

*The blog post linked above has this notable line which should be highlighted: "... the term Third World obscures all parts of a country’s culture apart from those which are to be pitied or improved."

vaidehi71 likes this.
  8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

^ thanks for debunking the clutching-at-straws post with wiki refernced as knowledge-bhagwaan.

yes there are crimes that happen in india, but sometimes crimes in US or UK are scary too. Do ask the kids to follow adequate safety measures as in any new country, have a few trustworthy local acquaintances whose tips they can listen to, and wish them a safe, wonderful and enjoyable trip to India/sri lanka...

dont worry, they'll do fine and make mommy n daddy proud.

9. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

As a woman I feel as safe or as unsafe in any part of the world . I live in one of the safest cities in the US , live in a good part of town and I read about few incidents in my neighborhood often. My biggest worry being here is that everyone has unrestricted access to guns , one thing I probably don't have to worry about in India. Like others here , I have lived in Mumbai , travelled at odd hours alone in Mumbai and around India and never felt unsafe. I have also lived alone in different cities in the US and have felt a little unsafe a few times . So I don't think it matters whether one is in India, US or any part of the world, it's important to follow some basic precautions.

Sunburst and Naari like this.
  10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Ooh ! Now I am curious ;) !