Periods means ovulating ?????

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by poonam n, Apr 14, 2011.

1. poonam n

poonam n New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I have one question and really worried about it. I am getting my periods regularly so does it mean I am ovulating every month? I searched on internet and it says it is not necessary that every month periods means every month we ovulate...is it true??????? I used ovulation kit and it dint shown me positive test on even a single day...so what does it mean??? I am ovulating or not??? pls help...

2. babyhopes

babyhopes Bronze IL'ite

Hi,,
    Yes what you found on internet is true only.Even though if you have regular periods there are chances for you not ovulating properly.
    Consult a gyanec at the earliest.

Take care.

3. lathavim

lathavim New IL'ite

If you have 28-30 days cycle, you are most likely ovulating. You can check with the ovulation kit or by tracking bbt.

4. Jaynav

Jaynav Bronze IL'ite

This is little tough to give an answer with certainty for this.It would be great if any one of the IL's who is a gynec could reply this question.

now having said that let me share whatever i know on this.

If you are having a regular cycle without skipping a month (here the regular cycle denotes any cycle which of duration 28- 35 days in the past six months) , If you are having right BMI , If your appetite is good , If you engage yourself in physical activity and if you are active,If you are having normal menstrual symptoms like abdominal cramps without anything extreme ...All these means YES your ovaries are functioning properly and normally. You are ovulating.

there are certain questions which might be beyond scope of answering like what about the quality of egg that I produce?..does the sperm meet the egg ?, If the egg fertilizes will it certainly implant ?....all these are pretty difficult to answer even by an expert.

All we can do is be right on our part.Maintain proper diet, be active, have nutrition rich food and pave way for the proper growth of embryo...

The functionality of our reproductive system can be brought under our control to some extent.But for girls with structural issues in reproductive system, like blockage in fallopian tube, convoluted uterus , abnormal cyst medical procedures must be undertaken to resolve the issues.

But above and beyond all these the timing in which conception works out for a women is highly unpredictable.

My mom-in-law conceived my husband only after 3.5 years of her marriage.

My aunts and cousins conceived their kids at the max six month after marriage.In our entire family genetics from my parents side Iam the only person who is still sailing an struggling to conceive.Just hoping for the best.

What say girls???.....

Vasu, How are you..?...Still busy?

5. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Poonam,

Yes, it is true. It is possible for a woman to menstruate, without she having undergone an ovulation at all.

It is called an 'anovulatory cycle'. Using this technical term, google once. Wikipedia gives the needed information. Go through it slowly. You will understand this phenomenon.

Such 'anovulatory cycles' are common in very young girls, after they reach their first periods. In a grown up adult also, once in a while such 'anovulatory cycles' can happen. The exact factors responsible for this phenomenon is unknown.

This phenomenon in an adult woman is not a regular thing, hence it is not a major reason for infertility.

6. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

HI Poonam,
    Everyone told it clearly, its not necessary to ovulate if you have regular cycle. Only BBTs, OPKs, follicular study, some blood tests & finally the cervical mucus can help out with ovulation. No other clues....

Hey JN,
    Looking for me? Ya, still busy... Caught up with many works! What to do?
    Hope you are doing great!

Baby dust to all TTC ladies.