Periods and Hinduism

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Rapzee, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Rapzee

Rapzee Senior IL'ite

Since childhood I was always taught to stay away from the temples, religious events, etc during menstrual cycle. The thing is I never understood what the reasoning behind this is. I would really appreciate all the explanation I can get, not only that but like the religious rules that go along with this side of a woman's life in Hinduism.

Another thing is with it ganpati season I normally celebrate ganpati in a grand way however the past two years have been extremely disappointing. The reason is because last year my periods were in the way so I didn't celebrate ganpati at all. This year I started my periods on the 24th and normal 5 day cycle would end on the 29th. However I tend to go over board at least a day or two. So my mom said since it had already been my 5th day I can still celebrate ganpati. So I decided to schedule the pooja for sunday. I went shopping today after taking a shower. Bought all the mithais and everything only to come home and realize my periods are still on. So then I told my mom that they can eat everything I will just go and buy new mithai and fruits and all. She said no it's okay since it had already been my 5th day. However I grew up with my nana nani and they were extremely strict about it. So I obviously feel the same way. So in this situation I don't know whether to side with my mom or go by what I feel.

2. god2014

god2014 Gold IL'ite

Actually there is a reason for every thing that our ancestors quoted a thousand years before As mentioned earlier during those days some women feel tired and abdominal pain(very common),leg pain etc.,So at that time they wont be able to concentrate on the rituals also they need to sit or stand or walk for along which is difficult during menses.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT POINT is that there are harmone changes in their body which affects their mental health(some were more angry,some so sad on the verge of crying)there are a lot of harmones involved especially a harmone called PHEROMONE(which exists in all organisms in ants it used to detect food ,in human each one gives a unique smell)due to the variation of this there exists a temperature change in genital area which is irritating for some women.The other normal women who also secrete this harmone will affect the menses women So the women who experience period when they are in the midst of crowd their health will be affected.Also in temples the energy flow (positive) which exists during poojas affect them some women will be very weak during periods which inturn causes more effects So DURING PERIODS IT IS BETTER TO TAKE REST IN HOME

Yes my mom also would tell me unlike your mom, still i cannot obey her as its my body and only when i am convinced i go ahead to do pooja else i pray, but never go and offer pooja.. I suggest if your periods stops fully go ahead, else do it after that, also its our personal belief and its up to one own self, it may vary from person to person. But even my mom tells 5days over, took bath for body and head, washed hair so all over, you can go ahead, i wont but as i am still bleeding so i don't want to.
    If you believe in something go ahead until it never harms someone. ganeshji will never get angry let him stay for some more days at your home and get your pooja and receive your mithais and go..:2thumbsup: