1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Pedometer Challenge May 2014 -- 10000 Steps-A-Day

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by AlekhyaNandu, Apr 30, 2014.

1. AlekhyaNandu

AlekhyaNandu Bronze IL'ite

Hello wonderful ILites,

I know there are a numerous threads in this forum with interesting challenges and I am so glad to see members motivating each other. Here is another challenge for this month, 10000 steps a day. Here is an excerpt from an article i read somewhere:
    "Ten thousand steps a day" has become a heavily promoted fitness mantra -- with good reason. The American Council on Exercise estimates that the average person can burn up to 3,500 calories per week by walking 10,000 steps every day.

So, this is what it takes to burn 1 pound a week...isn't it simple yet effective?
    Anyone here interested to join me? All you need to have is a pedometer to track your steps through the day. Walmart has it for less than $15 or there is a free app called 'Runtastic Pedometer Step Counter & Walking Tracker' for both iOS and Android. We can all do it together for a month and see how it influences our activity level and how we can achieve our fitness goals.

Steps can be tracked throughout the day, like when we walk from parking garage to work or when you take the stairs or even your daily exercise regime -- let it be hitting the gym or walking in the mornings/evenings or after dinner. The goal is to get 10000 steps a day, that's all matters. So please join me starting tomorrow and post your steps count at the end of the day. Please post regularly so we can motivate each other and don't beat up yourself the day you are not able to meet the goal due to work or due to any unavoidable circumstances.

Alekhya

2. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Alekhya,

I'm on. I have a pedometer and have already tried to keep the 10k steps a day challenge from February this year. And yes there have been days when it gets tough, but I always love the feeling when my tracker buzzs every time my goal is reached.

So to start with today, 10,700 steps.:queen

1 person likes this.
  3. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

i am in.. i am using samsung app s health..i love to see when my goal has reached.

wont it be better if we post how many calories we burn too if it says on there????

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. breeze01

breeze01 Platinum IL'ite

april 30th... 10751 steps 300 calories burned..

1 person likes this.
  5. AlekhyaNandu

:welcome to the thread PriyaSrini & Breeze , wow...looks like you guys are way ahead and stated this challenge one day in advance :cool2:, good start and keep positing.

@Breeze, yes you can post calories too if you can track it on the app :goodidea:

1 person likes this.
  6. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

excellent iam on this challenge will record my walking steps here lets rock alexhya ...:)

1 person likes this.
  7. blessbabydust

downloaded pedometer android app for calculating it ohhhh until i get my pedometer

8. AlekhyaNandu

welcome blessbabydust...lets motivate each other, keep posting.

9. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

May 1st : 10300 steps and abt 2250 calories

2 people like this.
  10. blessbabydust

May 1st since i forgot to carry my mobile app it might be the rough counting ...

i did only 5745 steps will look into improving it when i get my pedometer hehehe