1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Peculiar!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, May 17, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Doctor Ilango was a known figure in that town. Ever since he started his small clinic there, 10 years back, he was known for his patience and the nominal fee that he collected. He had an elder sister who was married and settled elsewhere. It took him almost a year to stabilize himself and get more patients. But once they came to him, they continued to go only to him and soon, he became popular. His one room clinic was expanded soon and now he owns the land and the building that was newly erected. It was a mini hospital with 10 beds, one assistant doctor and two retired nurses.

He used to spend 14 hours a day in the clinic [Morning 08.00 to 02.00 and evening 04.00 to 12.00] and found that some days even that was not enough. And since the past two years, he took a vacation, in the month of May, just for 10 days. He felt that he definitely needed to destress and take his family elsewhere. That time, he wanted to take them to US and made all arrangements. Only that the previous day before their scheduled trip, he received a news that one of his aunts had expired. Canceling the trip, he took them to that place and paid the last respects. And he arranged an alternative trip that was for 7 days to a country that was closer.

All of a sudden, he had a free day now and wondered what to do. For the first time, he watered the plants and enjoyed a nice lunch. Then he had a nap and was disturbed, when the bell rang. His wife went to attend it, but he was up by then and reached the door earlier. There was a salesman, who wanted to sell a dictionary and a few books for children, at a 'discounted' price. Ilango asked him to sit down, gave him a juice and politely told him that he did not need anything. To his wife, it seemed peculiar. "Why are you so kind to him? You could have said 'No' and closed the door instead!", she said.

"My sister went door to door, selling sarees those days to pay my tuition fees!", he said.

p.s. This is a true story.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

Excellent!!!

It shows how to treat fellow human beings....anyone. Many times people forget the humble background from which they came.Apart from being a good doctor he has a beautiful heart.... a very very rare trait which is not found in present day doctors.

I want to quote a couple of small incidents connected with Ramakrishna Math at Hyderabad.

You must have heard the name Swami Ranganathananda of Ramakrishna Math. He was in Hyderabad for a long time. Those who were associated with him told these incidents. One day, in the month of May when summer was at its peak postman came to deliver some letters to him. he was sweating, outside temperature 40 degrees. Swamiji asked him to sit on the chair, called one Brahmachar(Monks in training) and asked him to get him a glass of buttermilk.The post man refused to sit on the chair and refused buttermilk saying.....Swamiji, you are a big man. I can't sit on a chair in front of you and drink the buttermilk. They he put his hand on his shoulder saying...nobody is big or small, take it and made him sit and drint the buttermilk.
    Swamiji is a great lover of gardening. One day he was planting some trees in the garden with the workers.....somebody from the office room came and told him C.Subrahmanyam and some other two veterans (I forgot the names) from Chennai came and they wanted to visit the math. He asked him to make them sit andhe would be soon there. After finishing the planting of trees, washed hands and received them and showed around the math. Somebody asked him..."Those who came from Chennai are big people and you made them wait so long." He replied "The people who are working with me in the garden and those from Chennai are same to me.The workers should not be made to feel that they are not important.

How we treat courier boys, sales girls, telecallers feeling they are disturbing us our afternoon siesta!!!!!

Thank you rgs for a good one.

Syamala

3. rgsrinivasan

Thanks a lot Syamala, for a lovely feedback. Yes, I've read about Swami Ranganathananda. The greatness in one is exposed much in the way they treat others. Isn't it?

Thanks again. -rgs

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A man who does not let his success get to his head is a good man and to not forget his humble beginings and being grateful are qualities of a great man. Good to know that with expanding pactice and popularity he still charged nominal fees and employed retired nurses (probably to give them employment). Also happy to note that his sister who struggled hard for him is now well settled.

Good one rgs!

Akila

5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Akila, for your feedback and appreciation. He is actually one of those old timers who still go strong. His son too, is practising, but always preferred lesser till now. -rgs