1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pebbles And Bubbles

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by GeetaKashyap, Feb 2, 2019.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good one @GeetaKashyap .

I agree with Sats too.

We need to be strong pebbles when it comes to values and be happy bubbles when it comes to disposition.
    One without the other... we would turn out a boring personality.

jskls, ratan, nandinimithun and 2 others like this.
  2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Well said, kkrish.

Your comment reminds me of a famous line from D V Gundappa, popularly known as DVG, he was a Kannada writer and philosopher. (D. V. Gundappa - Wikiquote)

"Hosa chiguru, haLe beru koodiralu mara sogasu..."

Translated as:
    "New shoots and old roots make a tree look beautiful
    New approaches and old principles give us true Dharma
    Sayings of sages and findings of scientists come together
    Human life is then truly splendid –Mankuthimma."

(Ref: Mankuthimmana Kagga - Wikipedia)

Frangipani, Rihana, Sinant and 4 others like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

4. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I read the linked post: whom do you think the stronger the previous generation or today’s younger generation? (sic). And this consequential post: Often my mind debates who is better amongst us?

The comparative inquiry of "stronger" and "better" is broad for me to respond, as is often observed in such reflective inquiry wherein opinions tend to be federated. Both are good! Both are sweet! Both are nice! I groped for the defining criteria through which both the women (pebble and bubble) could be distinguished competitively. Is that 'who do you think would have developed greater assertion?' or 'who do you think would have had finer opportunities for a fulfilling life?' or 'who do you think would have had a more facilitating life?" Such criteria is accessible for comparing the pebble generation with the bubble generation. In tow, I thought 'who do you think would have had a more expansive life?" lays out a comparable criteria rather than the vaguely inclusive "stronger" and "better" which is irreconcilable not only between the generational women but also between the coeval women.

I am a bubble! Undoubtedly. I don't have any trace of pebble in me.

Therefore, rather than "stronger" and "better", reverse engineered the broad inquiry based on being a "bubble" into the specific reasoning for having chosen to be a bubble as they have groomed assertion, finer opportunities, self-fulfilling, ever-facilitating and expansive lives.

Any bubble with decent education and modest finances and courage and communication could navigate in the world assuredly than a pebble. A pebble would have faced untold challenges to acquire that education, finances, courage and communication which is a common upbringing in all the bubbles.

A bubble can choose her field of study, her line of work, her romance, whom to date, whether to commit, how ambitious or how laidback she can build her life. She has far enabling and uninhabited choices over a pebble.

Above all, unlike a chipped pebble aspiring to be smooth again by the circling and steady impetus of sand and water (metaphor: supportive family), the bubble crowd/generation relentlessly and cheerfully reclaim their intrinsic shape in their drift on their own (metaphor: self-reliant).

Yes, I am a bubble, not the unimaginative round bubble which closes on itself but an open-minded bubble that irregularly grows yet knowingly flits and blithely drifts.

upload_2019-2-3_18-17-54.png

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    jskls, Rihana, nandinimithun and 2 others like this.
  5. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Thanks for this afternote on Gundappa, Mankuthimma, Marula Muniya, Kagga poetry. I noticed last night and swiped wiki. Passing insinuation of regional literature which I lack. Fascinated! Thank you.

GeetaKashyap and nandinimithun like this.
  6. Sinant

Sinant Silver IL'ite

Dear Geetha,

As many have already said, I also would like to reiterate that pebble and bubble go hand in hand. Stronger the Pebble, more confident and consistent the bubble would be :)

7. GeetaKashyap

Dear @Novalis,

Often my mind debates

Who is better amongst us?

Unbiased, I vote for the bubble.

She is my own new version;

We are what we are due to our circumstances. We respond to the external stimuli and mould ourselves to 'survive better'. Here, what remains constant is the desire to survive, protect ourselves and our loved ones. The feminine energy/instinct, which as seen in all animals, basically focusses on preservation and nurturing more than the other things deemed as the male energy. But whenever there is a need, we are able to draw upon the latent male energy too; we see that in the description of deity Shakti/Kaali. The older generation, by and large, limited itself to the feminine mode. That didn't mean they were weak in any way; their patience and resilience were par excellence. In my humble opinion, today's women in accordance with the need of the day have imbibed more of 'manly' characters; competitiveness, aggression, daring etc., in that process, some of the basic/innate characters have been compromised (maybe superficially). There are no rights and wrongs here, changes have been incorporated according to the need. For example, Rani Lakshmibai could rule a state and fight against the British though she belonged to the Pebble generation! So I go back to my favourite statement, "I am another you" ie., whether it is a pebble or a bubble, we are the same resilient fighters within. Only the external expressions change as in Rasgulla and Chamcham!

Pebbles formed from shapeless rocks after rolling endlessly and receiving innumerable knocks. The pebble generation was because of suppression, oppression, pressures, limited exposure & opportunities and so on. While the bubble generation takes strength for their flight from the pebbles' struggle. The bubbles also face a lot of external pressures, receives plenty of knocks but it is the aspirations of the pebbles that encourage the bubbles to aim and achieve high. They are interconnected.

A typical Novalis; she is different!;)

8. GeetaKashyap

Welcome.

9. GeetaKashyap

:clap2::clap2::clap2: Well said, @Sinant. Thanks for this affirmative statement.

We are the same within; we respond and express ourselves in accordance with the time and place.

nandinimithun and Sinant like this.
  10. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Well said Geeta!
    I was thinking of on this who better is between old and new generation from last couple of days. WOMEN both pebbles/bubbles always angels/stronger in all generations and society plays a key role all the time in India. Women hadn't have economical independence and emotional support in older days so they struggled to stay in dysfunctional families.
    Now, the Indian society is changed so much regarding women and still I expect more changes will have to take place in future.
    I used to think of bubbles are great but your thread had given me enlightenment on this scenario. Finally, I have started to worship both pebbles and bubbles equally. :)