1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Peacock feather--mayiliragu or mayilpeeli

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by singingbird, Dec 10, 2009.

1. singingbird

singingbird Bronze IL'ite

It might be a thing of 5 paise, 5 rupee, or 500/-
    leave it....its about the human relationship I would like to say
    Like many I was very fond of elephants and my maternal uncle took me to a place in kerala.I was a school going child at that time....many elephants were there and naturally I was very happy....I wanted to know about how they are
    decorated for the festivals....My uncle who did't want to disappoint his niece took to a place where those things were made (Aanapattom, which will decorate elephant's forehead,in golden colour,then aalavattom& venchamaram, which a person will stand and blow) I could't believe my eyes
    then the colourful umbrellas WOW...and the way they explained things I never wanted to leave that place....It was in my memory.Above all a lady was in-charge of that art center.... Afterwards I never got an opportunity to go there. My children were interested in all the areas I worked,still I never visited

After thirty five years I had to contact them.....
    It was connected with my daughter's some art work, she was in need of some peacock feathers, she called me from Kerala, I suddenly remembered the place I went years back....I asked her to contact through my uncle, you will not believe she got some contact number from there, within minitues her dream came true......without any hurdles or obstruction....Lord Ganapathy and Krishna's blessings were there...they had'nt forgotten us.They had a good and kind heart to help us....My next visit I have to go there atleast to thank them...To start with whatever came to me I shared with you all
    I do not know whether you enjoyed..next time I will come with some interesting topics....Till then....musically yours....

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

It is great to know that those people still remembered you. No doubts that elephants decorated with aanapattom is a beautiful sight.

Welcome to IL Blogs and please keep writing. We are all here to encourage you.

3. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

GR8! nice to hear such ppl do exist! - also i have seen - keralites are more rooted wherever they are - though its smaller than the neighbouring states - there is lots to cherish- i always love the mundu n dhoti in all kerla weddings even now where as other state ppl ahve resorted to more modernisation of weddings ( i ahve taken attire as an example)..

Be it visiting temple or any other event- other than times needed keralites are found blended with their tradition which i admire them for- and only keralites than any one else can still remember people and still welcome them...

Ps: I am not trying to bring a praise of any group of ppl here or say others are not so - but i have found this deep in most keralites

4. deepagopalan

deepagopalan Gold IL'ite

its really nice to hear those people still remember you..great it is.

cheers
    deepu

5. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

it is really true. I can understand your feelings on this. just we attended the utsav of poornathrayeesa temple at our home town tripunithura at kochi after 6 years. 18 elephants with anaipattam with panchavadyam and all. wonderful.

ganges

6. vanivj

vanivj New IL'ite

Nice keep it up

7. singingbird

singingbird Bronze IL'ite