Pazhamozhigal and Teasing Phrases :-D

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by swaran, Nov 26, 2010.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi All,

Often at home,we used to tease someone by saying some old phrase or saying...in tamil ,people used to say "inda kusumbu ku onnum krachal ella" :)...if the person who is making these statements come from a particular place where these phrases are very famous,they used to say for eg "inda coimbatore/tanjavur kusumbu taangala" ...

Till marriage i was with my parents and grandmother,so i often hear these phrases and we make fun...so a few of them got passed on to me too...at my ILs place,i would be the only person cracking these phrases and all especially my MIL loves hearing them(she too knows these phrases but doesn;t quote much)...but my FIL and DH cannot identify the hidden meaning of the phrase and we need to explain to them....

i personally believe these phrases are not much used today...they bring an extra spice to the discussion...some phrases are harsh but we usually dont discuss any harsh comments in front of that person but might gossip with our close ones :-D

so lets start discussing these funny phrases and pazhamozhis with their meaning...if you have any rare ones or which we have not heard much,quote them first :thumbsup

letme start:

If we see someone wearing an shabby or unironed clothes,we say "puli pannai kullendu edutta madri iruku" (looks like this is taken out of tamarind jar)...meaning in olden days,tamarind are kept in small pots and you can imagine how a dress would be and smell if you kept it inside that pot :biglaugh

now your turn ........

ksuji, kkris, karthikas and 2 others like this.

2. vdeepab4u

vdeepab4u Gold IL'ite

Hi Swaran:

Are you a tamil girl ? :hiya I thought you are a kannadiga..:bonk Its nice to see your imaginative threads..

To this topic, I can say some pazhamozhi.. but it will be quite popular which known to everyone..
    "Vidiya vidiya ramayanam kettu seethaikku raman chithappa nu sonnanam"
    " Irukka edam kudutha padukka paai keppanam"
    "Verum kaiya vachi mozham podadha" etc..

Lets see about others..

ksuji, kkris and mums like this.
  3. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Interesting thread swaran. This thread is going to be really funny & a tutorial in mastering this sort of phrases :crazy

'Pazhutha pala ilaya paarthu pacha pala illai sirikaradhu' this phrase told by elders when young people laugh & make fun of them. And it is told in a humourous manner.

some more :-

Sandhula sindhu paadaraan
    Kodu pota rodu podaraan

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  4. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Nice to see immediate both of your immediate response...thanks :thumbsup

thanks deepa...naa pakka Tamiz ponnnu chennai lendu...
    irukka edam kudutta padukka paai kepan...wow i really dint know how to form this full phrase...idu teriyame i used to say a related one "palaivanatule ottagatuku edam kodutta madri"...there is a story(you might know) where a traveller would feel pity for a camel which would be standing in the cold night...so he allow the camel to keep its head inside his tent...slowly little by little the camel would move its full body inside the tent moving the traveller out,so he who felt sad seeing the camel would end up sleeping outside the tent...hehheee..i would say this to my husband when he would say "i dont want the blanket...dont feel very cold.i would just keep my legs" and slowly keep pulling the blanket..result,there would be no blanket on me :rant

HakunaMatata and karthikas like this.
  5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks,you are right...i personally want to learn more so that i can pull some people's legs.. :rotfl

'Pazhutha pala ilaya paarthu pacha pala illai sirikaradhu'..sorry i am not able to understand the words...can you please explain:bonk

6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Pazhutha Pala Illai (an yellow leaf which is going to wither away) refers to old / elders.

Pacha pala illai (new green leaf) refers to young blood.

Swaran, nijamave idha tutorial aakiteengale:biglaugh

1 person likes this.
  7. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

'veetukku veedu vasapadi' :rotfl

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Palapazha ilai a...ok ok ippo correct a padichu purinjukiten..thanks

you are right...

9. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

one more from my side

When we see someone asking the other person to praise them or they sing their own praise for doing a nice job like "no one can keep sambar like me na" or "my sambar was very good today,what do say?...have you ever had such a sambar before"....we would say

"Podi mattai Tumma koodadu Podi podravan thaan tummanum" which means the person who uses podi(for people who dont know,this is a powder that people stuff in their noses during olden days ..like a drug) should only sneeze(this powder causes sneezing),instead the podi box should not sneeze.. :biglaugh
    i really love this phrase

ksuji and karthikas like this.
  10. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

:biglaugh:rotfl enjoyed reading the meaning of this phrase.