1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Middle School Education in the US - What to Expect and What to Do
    Dismiss Notice

Passport valid for 6 months requirement ??

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by nisnair, Feb 18, 2012.

1. nisnair

nisnair New IL'ite

Hi

Is there any rule that, if we travel to India(our home country) our passport must have a minimum validity of 6 months??
    I know that to travel to other countries from our home country, passport must be valid at least for 6 months .
    We have booked for march 31st and my husbands' passport expiring in Oct 2nd 2012 .and we are planning to renew it from India. Then we heard this news and in dilemma now !!
    Did a lot of googe search and found no answer. In many forums many have asked questions, but no answers, even not by them !!!
    Please help, anyone has any experiences. ??

2. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Have you tried calling the Passport office in India for information on this?

I had about 7 months left on my old passport. I travelled to India and then came back and reapplied where I was staying. By that time I had about 5 months left on it.

As for applying in India, make sure you know about the time required for it. Double check it cos there's always something that we are not told there. In case there are delays and you have to come back to where you are now, that could cause problems. Applying it where you live after you get back from India would be wiser.

3. nisnair

nisnair New IL'ite

@ tanoshii .Thanks for the quick reply ..
    Yes we did inquire with the passport office and some travel agents there in India.
    They (BOTH)said it will take only 3days to get new passport if we apply through tatkal scheme.

4. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

Then there should be no problem. If you have about a week to follow up things there, that would be best. So as soon as you land, get the paperwork started. As for entering Indian with his current passport, there should not be any restrictions.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I would also call the airlines in case they have some international restrictions that they must observe.

6. nisnair

nisnair New IL'ite

@tanoshii : we have 15 days to follow up and we r planning to do it on the day of landing !!!
    @tashidelek2002 : thanks for the suggestion, will try it :)

7. nisnair

nisnair New IL'ite

Went with the passport and there were no problem at any of the airport..

but regarding the passport..it was a mess...Gave it for renewal on the same day of arrival at India and we got it back on the day of departure.. it was a tension !!!

8. hgulla

hgulla Silver IL'ite

Just for the record the renewal process is so easy in US. It takes less than a week in DC. I messed up my passport due to a water damage, DC gave a duplicate passport in just 4 days, the paperwork however can be a pain.