1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Passport sent to my indian address by IRS

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by Neelsuma, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Neelsuma

Neelsuma New IL'ite

Hi
    i applied for itin for me n my child by visiting the irs office at seattle on march. They took our original passports along with the necessary application. And later by may we got our itin no. Confirmation letters to our correct usa address delivered by usps. But we did not receive our original passports n we waited till august end. Then we raised a query and were replied that the passports were sent to the usa address by may through usps and it was returned. (The Address mentioned was wrong so it got returned). The irs austin had posted it to the indian address and after a search with the main postoffice n customs(with the help of a friend in customs) it has finally reached on 1st oct to the indian Address.

Now the problem is how to bring it back to usa as no courier company or person(colleagues) not taking the request as its against law.

Had anyone underwent this situation or is there any wayout for this?

2. meerakoushik

meerakoushik New IL'ite

You can ask any of your friends or relatives (if any) coming to Usa to bring your passports.

1 person likes this.
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I would go to the consulate and ask them to bring them back in their official courier method as it's their mistake. It's worth a try.

4. Neelsuma

Neelsuma New IL'ite

Hi meera,

tks for that idea, but its said its against law that none other than the passport holder should carry the passports. We checked with the embassy and finally my husband is travelling allthe way to get our passports as mine bears his name in spouse n my daughters as father ,So we think all will go well.

5. Neelsuma

Neelsuma New IL'ite

Hi there,
    we checked that too but the embassy at chennai has replied stating that they cant help in shipping it and need to contact only the specific irs centre. By that time us govt. shut dowm , so we have written a mail and yet to receive their reply. We also checked about postal / courier options but no company is accecpting passport in parecel as this is against regulation. So we contacted consalate general of india at sfo, they simply answered to apply for the duplicate. So finally my husband is travelling all the way long to bring it.

6. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Instead of your husband and u and ur kid going india can you get your parents
    carry your passport, at least it will be like a visit for them...

Or check for friends/relatives, am sure they can help

7. Neelsuma

Neelsuma New IL'ite

Hi,

just a month back my fil had arrived. N moreover without passport me n my daughter won't be allowed to travel so only my husband is travelling and he started too. Anyways tks for ur replies ladies,,

8. Neelsuma

Neelsuma New IL'ite

Hi ladies

my husband returned to usa safely with our passports. Tks for ur ideas n concerns.