Passenger's Airline Seat Changed Because Of Her Gender

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Amica, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

When in Rome ... [​IMG]

But I'm not okay with this happening in America.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

OK, didn't want to create a new thread. And I did think of this thread when I read this news:

Airline says women can avoid the middle seat

Women flying solo with Vistara (an Indian airlines) will not be assigned middle seats, even if they do not select preferred seats in advance.

I was wondering how this helps? Groping kind of problem can happen even if woman is seated in window or aisle seat, no?

And, if two women are travelling together, shouldn't they still be treated as travelling separately and assigned non-middle seats?

What am I missing here? The airlines is trying to avoid situation of a solo woman traveller seated between two men? Is that helpful? Takes only one man/engineer to grope, no?

Amica and Sandycandy like this.
  3. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Correction , takes only one pervy Indian man to grope. Sorry I am putting the aarope of grope on my desi brothers . But somehow most cases of groping mid air in the US happen to involve people of Indian origin ( Engineer/ doctor/ married men/ senior citizens) Who knew that free peanuts / pretzels can make people h***y ?
    As for vistara, the middle seating rule doesn't make sense .But I guess on a really badass kind of day a woman could be seated between two men that just got naughty eating tamarind candy served on Indian domestic flights .

Amica likes this.
  4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

This has nothing to do with groping. It's to protect us from manspreading. They're also helping us with luggage and taxis. Who says chivalry is dead? :p

And now I'm craving tamarind candy. :facepalm:

momsky and Sandycandy like this.
  5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

This Indian Aunt may request to switch airline seat, if stuck between 2-men. It is to make use of my minority privilege (oldies tag, like to sit more comfortably:banana:).

momsky, Sandycandy and Amica like this.
  6. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

I think this one might have to do with restrictions in certain religions for monks/ saints to come in close contact with women. Anyone heard of swaminarayan dharm? The saints / temple priests are not allowed to come in close contact with women..

It is based on ridiculous assumptions of men being unable to control their temptations with any sort of contact with women. If a man on dieting cannot control his temptations for sweets, shd the sweets be moved or the man shd learn to control??

7. ZenSojourner

ZenSojourner Silver IL'ite

EXACTLY! Reminds me of the story of two buddhist monks traveling, one older, one younger.

They come to a river where an old woman is pacing back and forth as she is unable to cross against the current.

So the old monk carries the old woman across the river piggyback style. The younger monk is appalled and protests, but the old monk pays him no mind.

They soon reach the other side and the old woman climbs down and thanks the monk profusely and they all travel on their separate ways.

However the young monk continues to harangue and scold the old monk for having touched a woman and "defiled" himself, but the old monk continues to hold his peace for some time.

Finally the old monk responds, saying "I put that woman down miles ago. Why are you still carrying her?"

Amica, momsky and Naari like this.
  8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Nice story.. Looks like the dirt was in the mind of the younger monk here.. Superb response from the old monk!

momsky likes this.