Passenger's Airline Seat Changed Because Of Her Gender

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Amica, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

sindmani, Rihana and vaidehi71 like this.

2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Any idea what this is all about? Pakistani monks who were wearing long orange shirts? :confused:

Naari and KashmirFlower like this.
  3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I did not know there were pakistani monks exist, but once I was travelling from US to Dubai, one pakistani lady requested the lady ( indian) sitting next to me if she could exchange the seat with her as her seat was next to a guy.:neutral: Inidan lady aunty in saree, who didn't look that modern in dressing, but was modern in mind agreed and moved.

4. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Personally I think definitely the women should not be moved just because of cultural reasons, especially at the last moment. If people had problems with this, they should have informed it on booking itself and chose the correct seat. If the seat of the female passenger was chosen by her on her booking itself, she has every right to get annoyed at being asked like that.

5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Amica, threads in News & Politics section don't show up under Latest Replies. I have asked why/please etc : ) "news & Politics" Threads Not In Latest Replies Let's see. Meanwhile, maybe start such interesting threads in General Discussions section. Almost missed it!

Coming to the matter - I have to admit, my first reaction was laughter. : ) Don't know why. Religion can wreak havoc on terra firma.. take it to thousands of feet above ground level.. : )

First, how did those two travelers know there was a woman seated next to them? So, maybe they asked to not be seated next to a woman; the airline changed the woman's seat, and (fortunately) messed up by telling her the real reason.

I gather it was a domestic U.S. flight to Houston. Not good. Such treatment of the woman is un-American.

I wonder how it would be if men who are worshippers of Lord Ayyappa, seeking such accommodation in a flight. Or, if a woman in a burkha asked to not be seated next to men.

I think if people have such restrictions, they should buy a row of seats.

ZenSojourner, nakshatra1 and Amica like this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

May be they should find alternate means of transport and not ride in airplanes ....its ridiculous that this was even entertained.

ZenSojourner and Amica like this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

This happens frequently on flights to Israel and the stories are often in the news. The very Orthodox Jewish men will often refuse to sit next to women, even Jewish women due to religious reasons. The flights are then held up till the seats can be reassigned.

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow... Didn't know that! I googled it, and looks like it is regular practice. The comments under the news articles are hilarious. One said he/she wants a religion that will forbid sitting next to anyone under 16 yrs old. : )

KashmirFlower and Amica like this.
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I didn't know either. I'm wondering if they were sadhus. :confused:

This seems so odd in this day and age! But at least the exchange was voluntary.

10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I did not notice this! Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

And they messed with a lawyer. :facepalm:

Exactamundo! If you want to control the seat next to you, pay for it.

ZenSojourner likes this.