1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents Support During Divorce

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by MammaMia, Apr 21, 2017.

1. MammaMia

MammaMia New IL'ite

Thank you Shama146. That is what I am going to try for.

2. MammaMia

MammaMia New IL'ite

We can be strong and independent but might need someone to lean on in weak moments and that is what I needed from my parents. They are not that weak or old mentally, emotionally or financially. They definitely have the capability to support me during the bad phases. They are just not willing to able to think from my POV about how things they say can cut deep especially now. Anyway, I do agree the only person I can change is myself so will work on that. Thank you Emarald.

3. MammaMia

MammaMia New IL'ite

I moved out of my parent's home 15 years ago and have no plans to live with them in the future although they would like me to. I live in a different country and meet them only once in 2 years or so. My relationship with them improved vastly after I moved out so I totally understand "Familiarity breeds contempt". This is why I feel like me expecting some support through phone calls is not too much to ask for.
    They are definitely not forcing me to stay in this marriage anymore. They have left it up to me to decide now. I already went through the phase where they tried to "fix" me to save the marriage but that did not make a difference. Now, I think they want to sit us down and ask us what our issues are because they think us talking to them will magically fix all the issues. They have blindsided me with these talks before and I hate it! I am planning to shut that down if they try it this time. Thanks for the advice Chocolate.

BhumiBabe likes this.
  4. MammaMia

MammaMia New IL'ite

I am trying to work on my reaction to them. Thanks for the good advice Amica.

5. MammaMia

MammaMia New IL'ite

Thank you Dia. Especially for the positive stories about life after divorce. That has definitely been a factor in the decision making and it is encouraging to hear of successful lives.

6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

@MammaMia I don't know where you are, but find a counselor locally, that you can confide in and can advise you one how to deal with situations. My mom's advise is limited, but a counselor would be more equipped to deal with your problem, and will not be biased. I am in the US, and have an Indian counselor (an older lady), who has helped with my marriage counseling. My husband has grown to respect her, as well, which seemed to help. Had I found a nonIndian counselor, he/she would not be able to relate to the problems of an Indian couple.

Recently, my marriage has hit a real roadbump (or actually a mountain), and I turn to my counselor as my first resource. She has been able to give me clear advice and when she realized that my parents were not so supportive, she volunteered to talk to them. After talking to her, my father is much more proactive about the situation and takes it seriously (he took it seriously before, but somehow, a 3rd party makes it easier). If you cannot find a counselor locally, try one in India, who is willing to Skype. Not all counselors are created equal, so you might have to shop around, until you find one that is not biased. My counselor wanted to help my marriage work, but she is also NOT against divorce.

7. MammaMia

MammaMia New IL'ite

You hit a sore spot. I definitely do look for validation from my parents. I have low self esteem now and am unable to trust my decisions fully. So, I look for that from my parents and other people. I have got to build myself up and stop looking for backup every where else. It is a case of easier said than done. Thanks for the advice SGBV.

8. BhumiBabe

Haha, I have been there. Having a group conversation with your spouse and parents, does not produce magical results. Their intentions are good, but you definitely need a 3rd party.

I am the same. I need my parents to approve, or it's hard for me to make a move. My self-esteem was very low, last month, and my mom was actually living in my house. I love my mom, but she's not able to understand that her judgment or disapproval is very stressful, and in many ways, doesn't help me become more independent. I am surrounding myself with positivity, to keep myself from falling into depression - so this means, reading happy books, watching fun shows, dancing to my favorite songs, etc.

Building yourself is hardwork. Don't let yourself lose sight of it. I started meditating and doing yoga (very minimal, but points for effort), but I noticed that the physical exertions are actually helping me feel very sure of myself.

sindmani likes this.
  9. MammaMia

MammaMia New IL'ite

We tried marriage counseling and it did not work. I could not find an Indian counselor so took the next best thing - an Asian lady. My husband is not one to listen to anybody else and is very defensive. He kept telling me the lady was siding by me and was out to get him when that was definitely not the case. She told me to change things about myself as well. I thought she was fair. One day, he stormed out in the middle of a session saying he did not want to work on the marriage anymore. So, I am done with couples counseling.
    I have tried 2 counselors for myself and was not happy with them. One was so judgmental, I was uncomfortable! While my mother wanted to meet the marriage counselor, I am against that because I do not need someone else to need to convince my parents to be supportive. It will feel like they trust someone else more than they trust me and also it feels like giving them too much insight into my personal life.

10. BhumiBabe

I was annoyed that my dad needed my counselor to convince them, but I understood the reason. He doesn't want to be overly biased to my cause, and potentially cause problems in my marriage, but when a 3rd person, trained in relationship and understands the situations, says that the situation is not salvageable, especially with an unwilling spouse, my father was able to realize that he is not being biased and that it's his duty to support me.

My parents don't know all the details, and they frankly don't want to know. I don't even know if I want anyone to know, because it's very uncomfortable. The thing is, parents know their children's faults. My parents know that I can get very emotional, I have mood swings, I don't like my privacy invaded and I don't like to be controlled (barred from doing something). The issues in my marriage highlighted my faults, but the counselor made it clear that the problems are not based on my actions.

sindmani likes this.