1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents Role In My Life

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Sweety2016, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

Dear all,

Today is onam and all I did since morning is cry..I ve never felt so vulnerable and the worst part is I am slowly starting to reduce my love towards my parents.

1) I was brought up in a v disciplined way. Studies alone was my only focus..Even applying some lemon on my face to beautify myself was considered too bad for a student. I was so dumb and right from my dresses to everything my parents decided. Parents struggled a lot financially to give a good life to us. THey always quoted that and I morally felt that am completely responsible for my parents happiness and nothing else mattered for me.
    2) Luckily they allowed me to study the course of my choice during UG and I stayed in hostel. There too I felt homesick and was hellbent in pleasing my parents. I wore ill fitted clothes, not even sunscreen and completely ruined myself physically. Parents were more concerned of my grades and conduct..no crushes, love etc..even looking at a guy I considered it a sin and used to cry to control myself. I did have fun with my 2 friends and enjoyed being in shell..
    3) Same with job.got placed in govt as gazetted officer and I immediately accepted offer to relieve all the financial burden of family. Parents were too proud of my acheivements..
    4) I slowly started taking care of myself and regained my natural beauty. Now they planned to get me married. Saw a guy from a pvt firm with single mom and there were red flags especially from MIL but they ignored saying this is how guy's family is and got me married. I who had no brains to think independently agreed to marry but with lots of doubts..
    5) As soon as marriage was over, my MIL insulted them. I stood up for them and earned her wrath..She always try to be friendly with me but tries to separate me from my family. I detested it and everytime I was bold enough to make issues. H was supportive throughout.
    Now the situation is no communication between me and MIL, she left my home, does not attend any of my daughter's ceremonies, either I have to do it alone with H or with my parents, H is not happy since his mom is not attending, I am unhappy and totally stopped thinking of any festivals or events..Its all we three alone finally. My heart bleeds when I see other children being blessed by both set of grandparents
    6) During all this my parents were my pillar of support consoling and strengthening me..They were like we are with you whatever decision you take..Dont bend to please anybody..you be happy with what you have

But today suddenly a question dawned inside me..Had my parents stopped my MIL when she spoke rudely then and there this marriage would not have happened. I trusted them blindly..did they consider that they should dispose me off asap no matter what or did they feel there is no good man better than my H? Had they felt that their daughter is precious, would they have agreed to send me to this abusive uneducated lady's house without any background check? If they want me to stand up for them, as educated parents why did they not stand up for themselves when the lady abused them before marriage?

Irrespective of being in a good job, looking pretty I suffered a lot because of this. Luckily H turned out to be a reasonable person else this marriage is dead long back. But H doesnt have a stable job and am the primary provider of the family. He had to leave his well paying job and now mom to live with me.

I asked this to them and they told no one can change destiny.

I felt bad and wanted a neutral perspective. hence started this thread..ladies am i right in thinking that parents have equal responsibility in an arranged marriage or is it solely dependent on the girl?

Put some sense into me if am talking crazy..I love them..I am stressed out..

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Once you are an adult ( 21 and over ) you are responsible for any decision that you take , this includes saying yes and not putting your foot down when you had doubts about the alliance your parents brought for you. Most parents want the best for their children, including yours.

nakshatra1, Amica, Laks09 and 4 others like this.
  3. Sweety2016

Sweety2016 Gold IL'ite

thanks sandy..I know my parents love me..but i was not brought up that way where I can say no to them without guilt..May be I should have been more confident

4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I can understand ur view. From now on try to be independent in taking decisions. I think u are doing that now. Many children especially girls go through being more emotionally dependent on parents (both or one of them). After marriage women change and learn to become independent.

Sunburst likes this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op,you are partially to blame.
    You stood up for your parents,why not for yourself?
    You accepted all the decisions of your parents because you wanted to be the good girl. You wanted that tag.

I was not independent but put my foot down when I saw red flags. The red flags were not red enough for my dad but I stood my ground. After that I had to hear snide comments for a year till my husband's proposal came ( again arranged)
    I was also a good girl but some things in life are too important and we have to take a stand. Period.

Now that you are fine with your husband,try to make a happy life with him.
    His mother is not with you. Why are you craving for her blessings for your daughter. You are an educated women. If the grand mother means well,she doesn't have to be present for functions to bless.

There are more important things in life that these functions. Be happy with your parents blessings or go for a short vacation instead .

6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

If there is anyone to be blamed, I would blame you for the mess you are in today.
    Because, it was your life, your marriage and it should have been your choice.
    You must have been assertive about all those red flags at the first place.
    If a young, educated, vibrant woman could not understand these red flags, how come your old, orthodox parents understand all this?
    Your parents gave you education, and it was your turn to use that education to set up your future life.
    Regardless of all your educational capacity, you chose to overlook your H & in laws faults, and blindly hoped everything would be all-right?
    I assume your parents would have hoped the same too!

It is very much irresponsible to say you blindly trusted your parents, and nodded your head when it comes to serious decisions like marriage?
    If that so, what is the point of attaining adulthood, and having education?

nakshatra1 and shyamala1234 like this.
  7. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

There are two ways to look at your situation. Either you look into your past and blame everyone including yourself for this mess or look at what's in your hands right now and make the best out of it .

Nothing good is going to come out of repenting on why your parents chose this family or why you acceded to their demands. Nobody is to be blamed, neither you nor your parents . All that is done now so no point justifying or rationalizing anything . Don't let anyone make you feel worse by saying that you chose this so you are responsible . Well, if you are responsible for all bad thing that have happened to you so far , you can also be responsible to overturn everything and try to live life as per your terms right ?

The silver lining in your case is that your hubby is in your side unlike most couples who have issues with their in laws . If your hubby is with you , half your problem is solved . To me you seem to be a good, responsible wife and that is why your hubby has been quite supportive of you . Your family now is you, your hubby and kids so as long as they are happy, you are good to go. And now that you are a grown up lady , you don't have to depend on your parents to say yes or no so you better stand up for yourself and take charge . How you do it that you figure it out !

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Dishaa and sindmani like this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...marriages are a big gamble. Arranged marriages are more so.
    The best parents can do is make all inquiries and if things still go wrong, stand by their child and support.

Your parents may have missed the red flags but it looks like they do stand by you .
    No point in looking for blame.
    No marriage is perfect. Look at the positives and work towards improving the negatives.
    Best wishes.

9. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

First of all you need to be more assertive..and confident of yourself..
    I don't understand when MIL abused...before or after marriage? And did she abuse you all for?
    You could have cancelled the wedding but gave in to family pressure and did not..
    U do not have to be obedient always, think for well being also...
    Parents think for good of the child, sometimes it back fires...they maybe feeling guilty as well..
    And sometimes even if enquiries are made for arranged marriage alliance, nothing is 100 percent..there are some MILs who are highly educated and are in respectable professions, with no red flags..entire family may appear very good ..they appear to be of high thinking and soft spoken to outside world..but after marriage they shout at DIL and harass her...then what can be done?
    What's over is over...you cannot go back in time..neither can you indulge in a blame game with your parents and create more bitterness..
    Most important is husband..
    You mentioned that he is a reasonable person...so pls focus on your life with him..
    Utilise the support which u get from parents and enjoy family life and concentrate on career..

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    nakshatra1 likes this.
  10. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

Like most parents, your parents struggled to provide you good education, get you married and be by your side when you have issues with your MIL.

I am sorry, but it is completely your mistake. You should have fought harder and said NO if you did not like to get married. What made you get convinced then and find faults with your parents now? Why cant you resolve the issues with your IL's and why do you expect your parents to deal with your MIL directly? Who knows, your parents were sucking it all up because they did not want your MIL to give you more troubles because they decided to pick a fight with your MiL. Being a well educated adult and a gazetted officer, you should be able to take charge of your life and solve your issues by yourselves. Your husband supports you, which is a big plus.

What else do you expect from your parents when they are supporting you as much as you can?

Just because you gave in, when they convinced you to get married, you cant push all the blame on them. If there is anyone to be blamed, its you. You should have stood firm and stuck to your guts.

nakshatra1 and Thyagarajan like this.