1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parenting Successfully Along With Work Life

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by thashi, Sep 17, 2016.

1. thashi

thashi New IL'ite

Hi ils,
    I am a working mother with two kids. Elder one 4 yrs and younger 6 months. It's time for me to return to my work now. I have my mom and in law to take care of my kids. And I have taken the responsibility of cooking at home. My work start s at 8.30 am morning and at the same time I need to drop my 4 yr to school. My work place is 15km away . It so happens that I reach office an hr late each day. I have to compensate that after my working hr I.e. After 6pm. By the time I reach home it almost takes me 8.30pm. later on I must feed both my kids , home work , spend time with kids and feed time of nearly 3 wake up s at night for my baby. After all this I must get up early morning around 5 and finish cooking for the whole day.
    I am worried a lot as to how I will manage all this work .
    Please Share with me your ideas and opinions.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

1. can you move close to office and search school also close to that place? home, office, school close means you can save commuting time.
    2. hire somebody where ever you can like cooking and other chores for few months or years.
    Or cook or prepare more quantities for a week on weekends.
    Or ask you mom/mil to help for few months in cooking.
    You can cook still when you get time and kids want a special item.
    3. Make good routines for kids and others at home and train kids to follow that routine. for eating, sleeping, playing if they have fixed timings it is easy for you and them. and time will be saved.

3. KashmirFlower

4. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

ok, so why isn't the father doing anything?

Get him to chip in with the homework, feeding the elder child, cutting veggies, cleaning dishes. There is a lot he can do to help. Kashmirflower has given some good options, but it starts with your husband

5. thashi

thashi New IL'ite

Hi guys,
    Moving close to office and school is totally ruled out as it is our own home recently purchased.
    Getting a cook my mil doesn't like as she doesn't believe on them.
    I have asked my mom to take care of my kids and mil to help me out in cooking. But we are not in good terms and she thereby denies doing it. She will just cook for my fil and for me my husband and kids I must do what ever I like . It's just like separating out telling u look out your family and I ll do mine. The good part is she does cleaning of home and all .
    Finally my husband, he s such a mommy boy that he doesn't know to boil a water or not even want to do that. It's been 6 yrs of marriage life until now and I have never seen him cutting veggies or bathing my kids or feeding them . .....
    These are the instances which can never be changed or corrected in my life.
    I hv to live with it or let go everything..

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Look at it like this you are financially independent and have two kids who you must prioritise over all else. So, what if you were to rent a place closer to work for the week and come back "home" during the weekend. In that case your husband can learn to man up... consider it seriously and put your foot down if it comes to it.

It's not fair that you get no help and are to do every thing yourself...

Lakshmi6197, MalStrom and sindmani like this.
  7. dnormx01

dnormx01 Gold IL'ite

How about putting the elder one on school bus? Or requesting a car pool with school mates who live around your place? That way you might have to drop them just once or twice a week.

As for dinner, not sure about around your place, but I have seen that in most places there are people who cook home made meals and deliver to your place for a monthly pay. They generally cook to your requirements.

Best of luck

guesshoo and sindmani like this.
  8. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

NEVER say NEVER. If he hasn't done until now, it is high time he starts. Start politely though. Make him aware of the difficulties you are facing without pointing fingers. If that doesn't work, put your foot down, tell him this this this and this are your chores. It needs to be done.

Shreema86 and guesshoo like this.
  9. thashi

thashi New IL'ite

Guys,
    Though I am earning I am not financially independent . I am responsible o give account of my earnings to my fil.

I am not confident if your ideas will work but I will try them and let you all know what actually happened with me later on.

Thanks for all your ideas .

dnormx01 likes this.
  10. KashmirFlower

Is Your h also gives account of his earnings to ur fil?
    And also do you know how your h spends and saves his salary ?
    And who bought this own house? Your fil? Or your h contributed too? Did you contribute too?

Instead of giving account to your fil, why don't you and your h give some fixed amount to run the house every month, which is like sharing all bills type , looks like your fil is head of the house, so give some fixed amount with estimating what and all are the expenses and rest of it save or invest on your and h name and kids college etc

that way you will have some control over to have some paid help in cooking or nanny help etc , you can have some say.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    soulful likes this.