1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parental Threats

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Mar 5, 2018.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Interesting thread about parental threats.
    I was brought up in a joint family of uncles,aunts and cousins..There were so many
    defects..Each uncle had 5 or 6 kids. The parents had some control as to nice behaviour.Yet there was absolutely no threatening in our family.The teachers of course very often passed a remark about the failed candidate that he is fit for grazing buffalo.

Abusing the children may give temporary relief to the stressed parents.It can cause emotional trauma that results in long-lasting harm.
    Abuses and scoldings can undermine the child's self-esteem, damage his ability to trust and form relationships, and chip away at academic and social skills and can cause irretrievable inferiority complex. It is said that verbal abuses can do as much harm or even more than physical hits.

If abused very often, children may not care at all.

"I wish you'd never been born." This kind of verbal abuse creates a sense that your child isn't wanted in the family.The child 's self worth is attacked.
    In moments of anger,it is better to stay away and refrain from saying anything and keep calm.
    Child upbringing is a tough job dealing with moods.It is easy to give tons of instructions.
    All kids are not alike.There is no tailor made solution.parents are lucky if kids are sufficiently good in academics, smart and well behaved.Children are lucky if the parents are caring and patient.

Jayasala42

2. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Very true! Many a times, the victims of bullying, instead of learning what-not-to-do often tends to inflict the same abuse on others when they get the opportunity.
    Fortunately for me, that incident was a wake up call for my Mom to understand how sensitive a child is and she learnt that threats won't work rather it is better to reason with me.
    Again now, the threats have started recently but now the roles are reversed and she is more like a kid, so I venture into reasoning and explaining which works (sometimes! :p)

satchitananda likes this.