1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parental Threats

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Mar 5, 2018.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Mine never did that. In fact when I did grow up and start buying dresses, dad used to say 'Your salary is to be counted in terms of the number of dresses you buy." :)

shyamala1234 and shravs3 like this.
  2. satchitananda

Agatha, it still scares me to think of having no say in getting married or not, then not being able to decide whom to marry ..... Am glad you brought up your daughter the way you did. Am sure she must be really proud of you.

nandinimithun likes this.
  3. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

So are you supporting that tradition, Sachi?

satchitananda likes this.
  4. satchitananda

That is really scary to think of. Yes, parenting is a double edged sword. Dashed if you do, dashed if you don't.

5. satchitananda

That's a good one. It must be hilarious to see the parent's face when the kids come up with something like this!

6. satchitananda

That's so good to hear Mistt.

Mistt likes this.
  7. satchitananda

No Mistt! Just saying. As for myself, I don't have kids to do that to. My mom did not get the satisfaction of seeing me harassed even by one kid, let alone half a dozen and I did not have to blackmail any kid! It was a different matter that she later on said that if I had kids I would never send them to school. I hated seeing kids having to go to school or to see them having to give exams!

Mistt and nandinimithun like this.
  8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

In this competitive world we can't see no school and exams but at least hope of no pressure and threats from parents.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

None of these threats you had mentioned worked with my son as he always came up with some idea that he could execute with what we were suggesting. Even I can't threaten him with WIFI password as he was the one who set it up 10 years back and keeps it a secret.

My parents did tell me that if I don't study well, I would be fit only to be hired as a shepherd. I didn't even understand the meaning of it but knew that was a scolding intended to make me study well. I had no sister nor daughter to overhear a threat to marry her off.

Viswa

10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Most of the parents use some threat or other to motivate a child to study. Parents think kids really believe what they say. But kids very well know they do not mean what they say and do what they like to do.
    Once we went to our relative's house. There mother was saying to her high school son....Exams' season and if you do not study well and work hard you would be good for nothing! Son kept quiet. When she went to another room I asked him "Why don't you work hard? Your mom is worried about you." What he said you know with a shrug "She always says that but does not mean anything...empty threats. She is always happy to see my report card with good marks. She thinks because of threats I worked hard and got good marks which is not true!!!!"
    Syamala

satchitananda and Mistt like this.