1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Paradise Lost and Rediscovered

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 30, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

[JUSTIFY]I am sitting in the park today. There are a lot of mothers with their babies come to spend and evening in the fresh air. It has just rained and the trees and bushes with their flowers are looking all freshly rain-washed. The sweet trills of various birds fill the air. All in all, it is a blissful feeling. There can be no greater happiness than this.

How long is it since I looked at a flower closely? How long since I heard a bird and noticed its trilling sound? How long is it since I looked at the full moon and could not take my eyes off it? When did I last look at the open sky and see the diamond studded space and delight in it?

My mind harks back to my younger days. There are some hazy memories of the joy and ecstasy felt at the sight of a dog, a cat, a rose, the beach, the picture of an elephant. Crazy? Did you just say “Little things please little minds”? Well I can certainly vouch for the pleasure that little things bring, but about the “little minds” bit, I am not so sure.

“Growing up” robs me of these little joys of life. No more the joys of stopping near a stream or a canal and peering in to see if there are any fish in it. No more running out to see the monkey man bringing his performing monkeys along. I am now a “big girl”. I am in a “big school” and going to higher classes. There is so much to study. Where is the time to “waste”? Human memory is short. Gradually the memory of the very existence of these joys is slowly erased from my mind.

In a few years time, along come my nephew and niece. I wake up early in the morning at 6 am, just to sit next to my 3 month old niece lying on the dining table, looking out of the kitchen window, watching the movements of the leaves on the drumstick tree and gurgling cooing at them. I carry my nephew who is crying out of the house to show him the dogs, cats, calf or a flower (apoo). We go for a walk, he perched on my 15 year old shoulders, like a little emperor surveying his little empire. We stop to look at the cow which is grazing on the plot of vacant land nearby. There are a couple of goats (attu kutty), and the little fella is fascinated by them. Our tour of the empire continues to a little canal (the geographical boundary of our little empire) nearby. We stop to check whether there is any water in it today. Then we return back to our little palace. We are very happy. All our troubles are forgotten. At home the emperor is treated to a story of the crow and the sparrow (kaka-kuruvi kadai) to make him eat. This is our little paradise. We need nothing more to complete our happiness.

The children grow up, start going to school, and I get busy with my college studies, job and various issues. Once more amnesia takes over. I don't remember when I forget these little things in life. Now other issues take over my life. My happiness is determined by whether I get admission to the desired college and to the course of my choice. I can only be happy if I do well enough to get admission to the best University to do my post-graduation. I also must have a moped to travel. My bicycle is no longer good enough for me. I must get a scholarship to study abroad, in order to prove myself. I want a TV at home to be able to watch Discovery and National Geographic, so that I can look “with it” when others discuss the programmes they watched. I can't afford the misery of appearing ignorant. Such ignominy that would be. I watch Jacques Cousteau and his voyages with rapt attention. I marvel at the secrets of the depths of the ocean. But do I know whether the jasmine tree outside has flowered? No prizes for guessing.

There are times when I get weary of the rat race. At such times I am reminded of W.H. Davies and his lines “What is this life if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare”. This is precisely my condition.

“Life” soon takes over. Adult life has replaced the joys of childhood and early youth. There is no time to stop and think. Life is like a roller coaster. You just go through all the ups and downs, clutching your head and tummy, without any control over what is happening.

TILL THE TIME COMES when middle age catches up. Much to my consternation and dismay, I are not able to keep pace with yourself. I cannot do what you did, say, 10 years ago. My body forces me to slow down. A temporary period of mental adjustment follows.

I no longer go hiking with friends. I do not go to the gym to keep fit. I go down to the park and take a few rounds and then sit down on the bench to relax. I notice the sunset. It is breathtaking. Then I watch the children, notice the flowers and the chirping birds. I go for a weekend to a jungle resort. It is pitch dark at night when I go for a walk. I look up. What a sight. The star studded sky reminds me of a georgette chiffon saree in ink blue studded with glittering chamkis. I suddenly realize that I have forgotten all about the existence of these little joys of life over all these years. Now is my time to set about the rediscovery of life, and of the little joys it brings. I rediscover that the best things in life are always free. And I am very glad to have them back. My body may not be as agile as it once was, but mentally I am 16 all over again. :cheers

A recent quote of Peter Matthiessen I read in “Speakingtree” sums up the whole process beautifully:

[/JUSTIFY]

2. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear satchi,

Relished every word of the post:)

Very sweet one..especially the descriptions are amazingly done:
    >The star studded sky reminds me of a georgette chiffon saree in ink blue studded with glittering chamkis.

Glad to have read an Ideal blog:bowdown

Cheers,

Saras.

3. satchitananda

Thanks so much Saras for the prompt feedback. Yours is the first one. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Good one Satchi, well narrated. Enjoyed reading every sentence.

5. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

It was worth reading your blog this evening !!
    It prods me of my childhood days too when I used to take my brothers out in the evenings for a walk, let them play in the sand and now the flight of 2 floors taking me up to my house is taking its toll on my legs but again I am mentally only sweet 16 dear !!

6. satchitananda

Thanks very much Vijima for your feedback. :)

7. satchitananda

Dear Sudha,

Thanks so much for your sweet feed back. We really need to keep the child in us alive to enjoy the simple pleasures of life without which life becomes a terrible burden. Glad that you still feel young at heart. :cheers

8. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Dear Satchit,

My body may not be as agile as it once was, but mentally I am 16 all over again. :cheers

LOVED AND BACK TO MY AGE OF 16. MENTALLY WE ILS ARE ALWAYS 16 .VERY NICE AND CHERISHED WITH EACH AND EVERYLINE OF YOUR POST AND A VERY GLAD NOTE

9. satchitananda

Thanks so much Sree. :) You are right. Interacting here with so many people of all ages from all over the world is the most refreshing and interesting activity one can have and keeps all of us mentally agile and young at heart.

10. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,
    What to say! In one hand, you zipped me through those wonderful little moments of life. On the other hand, your subtle indication of the aging body giving in to its natural fatigue turtled me of this unavoidable reality.
    Gazing at the beauties of nature has been one of my best pass-time. I never forget what Tagore said "Much have I toiled, many roads have I traveled to see mountain ranges and the ocean. Only I have not cast my eyes to see, one step away from my door, one drop of dew on one blade of grass"
    Presenting to you this
    [​IMG]