1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Paintings : Tanjore Paintings - Materials - Gum - Design

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by Sweetytweety, Oct 13, 2008.

1. pallavinc

pallavinc New IL'ite

Re: Tanjore Painting materials in Bangalore

Thnks Priya:thumbsup for quick reply, but can u let me know if i can get any replacement for gold foil there. I heard they are very expensive.

2. aparnasanthosh

aparnasanthosh Senior IL'ite

doubt about tanjore painting

Why can't we use readymade canvas (avilable in the market) for tanjore painting??????

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  3. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

Re: doubt about tanjore painting

hi aparnasantosh
    Why can't we use readymade canvas (avilable in the market) for tanjore painting??????

see, tanjore painting is a v traditional form of art and even though we have started using poster paints instead of vegetable dyes ( due to scarcity of veg-dyes) we still try to adhere to the norms of creating a tanjore. if you use a ready canvas for this it will not be an authentic tanjore- it will look like a canvas painting in which you have tried out the tanjore technique!:bonk
    there are quite a few who use oils/acrylics on canvas and do the tanjore style- i'm sorry to say that they are still canvas-oil/acrylic paintings with the tanjore technique!:coffee
    so you can decide whether you want to do an authentic tanjore or a canvas painting with the tanjore technique! its all in your hands!:)

4. Vidu29

Vidu29 Gold IL'ite

The basic reason is that the readymade canvas board uses very thin plywood which will bend on using poster colors & not stay well for long. After doing so much of tedious work & using gold paper & precious gems you would also want it to stay in good condition for a long time, right! Good quality seasoned wood is ideal for this reason.
    That's as far as I have understood :idea
    vidya

5. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

:confused2:

Hi,
    :wave:
    It is about the
    same as weaving a silk saree with pure silk yarn, and doing it with synthetic yarn.:biglaughThe value for a tanjore painting, is in the value of inputs, like the quality of materials, labour etc.

Secondly, tanjore paintings, done with so much of effort, should last long, and hence, be able to withstand the changes of weather.Proper materials, like treated wooden boards, or modern thick waterproof plywood, (combined with all the other organic materials, like arabic gum, tamarind paste, etc.)allow for contraction and expansion, without disturbing the painted surface, which in turn, preserves the painting.

We come across old paintings of almost 50 to 60 years or more, in superb condition,:thumbsup and more recent pictures, in a damaged conditions :thumbsdown.This is only because of the effort taken to preserve the painting, which includes inputs like the surface we choose to make the painting.

Hence in my humble opinion,:bowdown you can paint a tanjore style of painting on a canvas board, without the embossing, while it is advisable to do it with the embossing, on a proper wooden board, better still treated.:2thumbsup:

6. aparnasanthosh

tanjore painting material in abudhabi

anybody knows where should i get tanjore painting materials in abu dhabi?

7. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Re: tanjore painting material in abudhabi

Hi Aparna,

while we have to be very careful in choosing and buying materials for tanjore painting, in India, and for that matter, even in Chennai,I wonder who would sell those in a foreign country.At the most you may have some one who imports, and sells them at a premium price.We have Mehta's jewellery who claim that they send those materials abroad,Find out whether they can do it for you. But the best you can do is to buy these when you are here next time, or get some one to get these for your sake and bring them to you, when they come over there.

8. malumohan

malumohan New IL'ite

Bangalore:Materials

i want best quality yarn for crochet.i want to know the best quality yarns.

can anyone tell where i can get in bangalore.help me friends

9. aparnasanthosh

i found it......gold foil leaves r got frm jarir bookstore at mina mall and the other materials frm green branch (Opp.madina sayed shopping centre)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  10. platinumsweet

platinumsweet Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the information