Pain Less Deliveries

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by varshini, Apr 29, 2006.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

I was also given epidural. couldn't even stand well for a day or 2 but after that I was perfect.. I started ex ing as well..

Am not sure about stopping this epidural part in delivery becoz its more important during vaginal stiching as well.. So I think I got it till the end.. From hip till down everything was numb and hard a hard time to push baby out. I did in 1 way and dr felt happy by my doing so started pushing like that but I can never tell what I was doing becoz of numbing :)

2. Ums

Ums Senior IL'ite

Hello folks,

I need your suggestion. Had my consultation with gynec today. My first delivery was a C-Section. The doc has given me three options:

1. Planned C- Section
    2. Normal Delivery with Epidural
    3. VBAC trial

The doc said that if I am not able to tolerate the pain, they will immediately do a C-Section as the scar would be affected.
    I do not want to directly plan a C-Section without trying for VBAC.
    With epidural, had a discussion with the anaesthetist and I did not feel confident. I do not want to risk a life long back pain. People are giving me different feedback regarding Epidural and am totally confused
    Need you suggestions!!
    Thanks!
    Uma

3. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

I actually panicked when the doctor said she is going to stop the epidural and asked why she wanted to do so and she explained or else the baby will stay inside you as long as you wanted to be and I didnt understand this and agreed,then I felt some pressure and said I wanted to push and everyhting happened,maybe they started the epidural again when they did the episiotomy ,but I didnt feel a thing when they did it so obviously they would have started it,its been a month since my delivery and I obsolutely have so side effects because of epidural :)

4. daisymom

daisymom Senior IL'ite

Epidural does not affect the contractions per se. it just nubs the pain. while in labor, the midwife/doctor/mother keeps her hand on the tummy to feel the contractions and we are supposed to push according to that. so there is no chance of epidural resulting in sure shot vaginal tear.

it actually helps us save our energy during the first stage of labor to be able to push when the second stage sets in. many times, the epidural is paused during the pushing part.

also, there is a very small chance that the medicine will pass the placenta.

taking or not taking Epidural is a personal choice, but there is no need to feel guilty about it.

i think almost all women in the west opt for it.

5. healthy-mother

healthy-mother New IL'ite

In my opinion there is no such thing as "painless delivery". Epidural numbs the body from the waist down such that you will not feel any pain sensation. As a result, the natural sequence of events that occur during childbirth is interrupted - I mean, production of Oxytocin hormone and its benefits to you and your baby.

If you have Epidural, you need to be hooked up with a variety of things that will measure your and your baby's vitals. Invariably, you will not be able to eat or drink, your ability to move around will be restricted - all things which in fact are very necessary to have a normal labor and childbirth. There are many risks of problems as a result of Epidural - least of all, Spinal Headaches, long term back ache, rashes, and risk of the drug passing the placental barrier.

There are many things you can do in order to manage the pain of labor. Some of them include breathing techniques, adopting comfort positions, etc. Attend a childbirth class which will teach you all these things. Dont be misled by rosy promises of painless deliveries because there is a price to paid. And in the west many women are now realizing the folly of taking Epidurals because of the misinformation spread by many doctors and hospitals. In countries like Holland, etc women rarely take Epidurals and most births occur at home with the help of midwives.

Dr. Vijaya

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010
  6. momndad

momndad New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

This is my first post in this site :) Today only i joined.. This forum contains so much informations which i was in search for..
    i am 19 week pregnent and i was doing all the reserches on net..
    But can anyone please tell me what will be the cost of taking epidual in Bangalore as after reading this fourum i am thinking to go for it during my delivery.
    can anyone please let me know ...
    waiting for reply
    :coffee

7. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

Hi !!
    I am 37 weeks pregnant. On my last visit to gynae abt a week back, she did a vaginal exam for the first time, i had no idea wht it wud be like & honestly i cried out as i felt sum pain, the doc(very senior) comforted me for the first time, then she got really angry & said that since I wasnt able to take the pain of an examination, how cud i do in labor & she vil give me an epidural.
    she even went & complained to my husband that i wasnt co-operating with her to examine, that i was feeling pain at insertion of 2 fingers, how wud i tolerate the baby's head cuming out & all that & epidural wud be necessary.
    we asked if there was any complication, she said no, the pelvis is adequate but there is a 50 - 50 chance of going for c-section. She again added that if she vil initially try for vagibal birth but if i did not co-operate , she vil give epidual.

now i am unable to make out any sense, my first internal exam, i felt pain & cried out, it was so serious a fault ?
    i want to go for normal birth without epidural,
    of course i want to keep my options open, but the doc actually spent all the time trying to convince me & my husband to use epidural.

and i m sure, it is a vry big hospital & she is a very senior doc & me crying out durin labor or taking sum time wud be enough for her to order epidural or maybe even c-section, i dont think she has the patience to see me thru hours of normal delivery

8. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

Hi gorgeous,

Congrats! you will be holding your bundle of joy soon.

Is there a reason why the doc mentioned the 50-50 chance for ceasearian. I guess lot of women feel the discomfort/pain during the exam especially if this is your first.

Is this a private hospital and could they do it for commerical purposes? To my knowledge she cannot force you for epidural if you don't want it. Try the relaxing medications in addition to pain medication that will help you.

A few of my OBs were like yours. I promptly changed mine to one I'm comfortable with. Please explore this if it is possible at this stage if she is going to attend the delivery.

all the best!

9. gorgeous23

gorgeous23 Silver IL'ite

Hi all !
    i welcomed my bundle of joy on 16.02.2011 and it was a normal delivery. Thank u all for ur best wishes.
    all the best to all of u

10. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thats great Gorgeous.... How was the pain(topic of this thread)?
    Hope you & your LO are doing great now!