1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Padmaavat: Film Review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tamrakshar, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

After the much hullabaloo in the media about the erotic dream of Alauddin, I was dying to watch the movie. My wife said the scene was trimmed, but I didn't believe it. When we went to see the movie on the Republic day, my heart was pumping hard to see how the petite beauty performs with the hunk in bed! But alas, not only that scene was pruned, but also there was no skin show in the entire movie! Regarding the controversy, it is much ado about nothing. If some people's feelings were hurt, they had to be the Muslims, who have been shown in a very poor light by Bhansali. Alauddin is portrayed as a savage beast who showed no qualms about killing his close relatives and friends; treachery ran in his blood; lust was the prime mover for his invasions. On the other hand Rajputs have been shown as people of high moral values; not afraid of sacrificing life when they had to choose one between death and honour.

The character Alauddin in Padmavaat is a brainchild of Bhansali. It was non other than Bhansali who was, as Ranveer admitted in an interview, all over Alauddin's kohl-eyed, scar-faced, mane-haired rusty looks, his flamboyant dialogues, mannerisms etc. In one scene, the Sultan threw an entire bottle of scent to a slave woman and hugged her to get himself scented. There were few sensual scenes, but the best was the scene when Malik Kafur was bathing Alauddin. Did you say homosexual? Yes, it was. As a typical trait of Bhansali films, you will be amazed by the magnificent sets, which can take you to the 1300 AD Rajputana. The war scene was also captivating.

Shova De found faults with Deepika's trainer bra and Ranveer's footwear. However, I am not that critical, and found the costumes apt. I am little disappointed with the music. Actingwise, Ranveer outdid others by miles. Shahid looked like a puny minion in comparison with him. Bhansali should have chosen a better actor who looked like a mighty Rajput! Deepika did her best, but Aditi's acting was also superb.

There is no justification for the film to be shot in 3D. In the recent version of Ben Hur, there was only one scene of chariot race which could be a lame justification for its being 3D ( I am told the original Ben Hur was also a 3D film)! But, I thought Bhansali wasted money without adding any value to the visual effects.

I am a great proponent of freedom of expression without any ifs and buts. India is a nation of composite cultures. Someone or other may always come up with hurt feelings for every creative expression of an artist. But if we are to move out of the medieval, barbaric mindset, and move towards a liberal, modern outlook, we have got to defend the right to freedom of expression doggedly. In other words, the rulers have to crush the violent agitations of loony, parochial organisations like Karni Sena. Unfortunately, we found the two major political parties keeping mum in fear of losing few votes!

I can't stop without mentioning Swara Bhaskar's acerbic take on the film. She thought the film glorified self-immolation, and Bhansali denigrated women to the extent that made woman equivalent to vagina. Well, she has a point!

amunique, MonikaSG and Mistt like this.

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Besides telling us about Padmavat your post revealed the following things

A) There is a Mrs. Tamrakshar
    B) Tamrakshar had a movie date with the Mrs. on republic day.
    C) Tamrakshar is a fan of magnificient Bhansali movies
    D) Shova De exists
    E) Swara Bhaskar caught Tamrakshar’s attention

uniquename and Tamrakshar like this.
  3. Tamrakshar

Ha ha Sandy! I am a movie fan, and a great family man. Have you seen it? It's worth watching!

Sandycandy likes this.
  4. Tamrakshar

Thanks Archana for liking the review!

5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

I figured that ! I am not a fan of SLB movies unfortunately . So I will have to give it a pass. Enjoyed the review !

Archanaanchan and Tamrakshar like this.
  6. Tamrakshar

Thanks!:banana:

Sandycandy and Archanaanchan like this.
  7. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

You should watch . This was a good attempt :blush:

Tamrakshar and Sandycandy like this.
  8. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

People who can sit through a SLB movie deserve a thunderous applause . :clapclap:

I can barely sit through a tv show, let alone a Bollywood movie :sleeping:

nandinimithun and Archanaanchan like this.
  9. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

I watched it for Deepika padukone :relaxed: Sometimes the boring and slow moving subjects can definitely be turned to a good movie because of the performances. This is one such movie which should not be evaluated for SLB.

10. Vandhuamma

Vandhuamma Silver IL'ite

Archanaanchan likes this.