Paan/betel leaves....need recipes or ideas

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by tashidelek2002, Mar 16, 2009.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Hi ladies
    I was reading a new recipe from Tarla Dalal for paan ice cream which I wanted to try. I found some paan leaves in an Indian store this weekend in a different city from where I live and I bought several more than are required for my recipe. I am a real ignoramous about what I can do with these leaves. I would love to hear what others do with theirs and any possible recipes for paan or for alternate uses of the leaves so I can use mine before they go bad. Thanking you all for your help in advance.
    Tina

(I've had paan when in India but how its made is still a mystery.)

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Tina,

Before you venture to make paan with those leaves, you have to acquire a few more ingredients for which you have to visit your local Indian store again!
    Here is what I got out of the web...:-

Betel leaf is washed carefully and then dried with cloth.
    Mix spices such as cardamom, anise and katha with choona (lime paste), grated coconut, different kinds of supari (betel nuts) and small piece of various candies.
    Add the mixture on the betel leaf.
    Fold the leaf into a triangular shape and secure it by piercing a piece of cloves into it.
    You can keep Paan fresh on ice with rose petals.

Besides the above , check out these two links. For best solution, browse the web and there are many suggestions!
    Sorry, this is all I could come up with!

L, Kamla

How to make paan...links:
    YouTube - Pakistan 43: How to make Paan
    Muchhad Website - Make your PAAN

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kamla
    Thanks for the links...very helpful. Actually I have everything for the sweet paan except the katha and choona. Regretably I am back in my remote area so I am going to just over look that part. Is there any reason overlooking is a bad idea? I have gulkand, shredded coocnut, a mukhwas with betel and silver candies, of course almonds, elaichi....

Last year when I was in Delhi I had some paan flavored candy that was really good. Some local shop made it and it was in little pieces of plastic and was sweet and kind of runny and absolutely delicious. Anyone have a recipe for this????

Thanks for your help Kamla
    Tina