Ovulation and ultrasound

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Mimosa, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Mimosa

Mimosa Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies!:hiya

Looking for some knowledge from the experienced ones here. I had read that doing an ultrasound on CD11/CD12 can help detect whether and when we ovulate...
    The thing is, i had been diagnosed with PCOS in 2005, got married 3 yrs back, and within 1 yr of marriage, my weight shot up from 60 to 72 kg!!!

This, despite the fact that i started gymming as soon as we came here. But i wasnt watching over my diet much and to add to it, i had no job for a year. I think this worsened the hormonal issues, which in turn worsened the weight. My cycles have always been irregular (even before the weight shoot-up), around 40-45 days, thus missing 1 or 2 months in a yr.

However, i have managed to come down to 68 kg since June, by exercise combined with light dinners etc. When i told my doc in India (in April this yr) that i would like to conceive soon, he told me i can start trying and told me to start duphaston twice a day for 10 days (day 1-10) every month 3 months before ttc. I have been on Duphaston since July, but waited a bit to ttc since i wanted to lose some weight...

Started TTC since October, but i dont know whether/when i ovulate. my Doc in India said you could start with clomid (or similar) if you are not ovulating. The thing is, i never know if i ever had a prob with ovulation in the first place. So how to detect/confirm whether i am ovulating or not?

Today is CD 1 for me...or CD2? (AF started 10 pm last night). Do you ladies think i should do an ultrasound just to check? When should i do that?

Any help would be much appreciated:)

2. vidyasantha12

vidyasantha12 Junior IL'ite

am ttc doctor told me to take duphaston frm day 14th of period for 14 days ...if i get positive its ok,next month i will do scan..i wil share wat doctr said..
    during our ovulation cm will be egg white...if you cant find better to consult nd find when u ovulate..I thnk scan should be done on day 10 so that they can track when u ovulate...and doctor wil tell when to intercourse tat increase your chance of pregnancy,,Dont waste time..i wish u all the best for ur ttc..

3. aniswami81

aniswami81 Junior IL'ite

Hi Mimosa,
    There is a series of ultrasound scans (3-5) to check if you are ovulating or not. This is called follicular study.
    They scan u starting from CD8 (or later) and scan every alternate day or something until u ovulate.
    This is an accurate study which is generally prescibed by the doctors which will tell u if u have ovulated or ur follicle has become a cyst. This is done on all medicated TTC cycles.
    Reg ur other query my gynec says even if u get ur AF at 11.30, next morn wud still be CD2.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. Mimosa

Mimosa Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much Vidyasantha12 and Aniswami81!

Since i am currently not on any medicated cycle (except duphaston), i assume if and when i start taking any o-inducing meds, the doc will check all this for me right?
    But can this be checked whilst not on any medicated cycle, just for your own info/confirmation? Is it ok to undergo ultrasound that frequently just for checking?
    Would it prove to be expensive/harmful?
    CD 10 this month is the exact day that i'll going to india for a 10-day trip..so it doesnt seem practical to start ultrasounds here and then continue later in india. plus, i;ll mostly be staying with the inlaws so this will become too obvious.

Do u gals think i should wait out this month, just gauging through CM on my own and do all this stuff for the following cycle?

Haha, before ttc i was so ignorant about all these things, i didnt even have a clue that the ewcm is an indicator of ovulation. I used to wonder why do a see a slimy mucus like, and sometimes stretchy substance on my panties?:bonk
    so i did ovulate all this while too, it means:cool2:

5. vidyasantha12

if you r going to india then better.. try nexth month ....scan is some wat expensive but its not harmful..Try this month naturally if it not wrks consult a doctor...tat increases your chances of pregnancy.

6. vidyasantha12

CM question - SMO Message Boards
    CM looks like this during ovulation keeping intercourse b4 fewdays and after fewdays of ovulation increases your chance of pregnancy ...am ttc this month god bless all

7. sowjanya02

sowjanya02 Silver IL'ite

Hi Even am tryign to concive but i hav PCOS prob,and from last year i use to get my periods evry month but wid 10days delayed and know the problem is my last period was on OCT 9th and still i did not get my period even am not preganant went for check up doc game same tablets of 28days course and also cam to knw tht hav been efected with Thryiod due to that am puttign on my weight.. knw due to this irregular periods i dnt knw when do i get my period and when i ovulate.. can any one help me out in this please ...

8. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

do you get Ovulation Prediction Kits at your place, then pls get your self a clearblue OPK and it would tell you when u ovulating at home ...it can be combined with a BBT chart ... if you coming to india you can get homecheck OP kit, also folicular study can be done even if you are not on medication just to check if you are ovulating on your own or not, the doc needs to give ur a prescription, it is the accurate way to know if u ovulating

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  9. vidyasantha12

better to consult a doctor and first treat thyroid problem..if it comes normal u can try for pregnancy...

10. Mimosa

Mimosa Silver IL'ite

Thanks everyone for your help!:thankyou2: