1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Overbearing MIL before marriage? What should I do?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by swan02, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Saumyamom

Saumyamom Silver IL'ite

Looks like the lady had OCD or something like that and that too coupled with a psycho,no-brain-of-his-own son..What a combination!Good riddance....Please fend him off in case he changes his mind in the future of which i see a very strong chance.These signals are good enough

1 person likes this.
  2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Cry as much as you want to.........but you are still a single sweet girl....and your true love will eventually find you...however if you had married this guy....god only could have saved you from divorce....

this guy is utterly nonsensical and to top it he is totally putting the entire blame on you....(even for he not being able to feel connected to you....) and by the way why will he even feel connected to you...when he is sooooooooo much into wondering what his mom wants and thinks etc.....he is better off marrying his mom maaa!!!! really...laugh it off and be happy that your past karma or blessings have saved you from such a nasty family.....you are one lucky lady....beleive me...after couple of years you will turn back and thank your parents and god for what happened.

2 people like this.
  3. Sandybeach

Sandybeach Silver IL'ite

Dear Swan,
    Thank God you got off this risky ride before it reached a point of no return. The Mom seems like a limelight hog who wants to run the show and star in it. Only insecure people feel the need to show others down to feel good about themselves and the Mom clearly belongs to this category. What they did to you was pretty heartless, they now have plenty of air to pump up their ego at your cost. They probably realized that you are not the kind who massages their ego and dropped you. They are probably on a lookout for another person they can step over to seem taller. The whole my religion is holier than thou attitude is funny. but what you are feeling right now is not unusual. Any relationship into which you give some of yourself does hurt if it ends. You thought of him as a partner whod be with you for a long time to come, and now the truth is that he wont. It is definitely hard.... You will get over it (and him) for sure, but this is a difficult phase (which of course shall pass). I would say dont think about it, move on but I know that is easier said than done. So instead I say look forward to the day when you will look back and reminisce how God helps us out of sticky situations in various ways-some of which are painful but who knows you may realize later that all this happened for a reason (and also discover the reason,if you are lucky).
    Wish you luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

What the ...... You were engaged to the son and you gave the diamond ring to mom too.
    Omg I am glad you dumped the psycho family.

1 person likes this.
  5. iyermaragatham

iyermaragatham Senior IL'ite

My advice to you is call off the wedding. my daughter is a physician and something like this happened after she was engaged. His parents were very controlling and he didn't have the backbone and my daughter called off the wedding. I can't believe in this day and age there are people like this.

1 person likes this.
  6. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

Please dont feel bad, everything happens for a reason. You will find a better man than this. because of his and his mom's attitude life would have been very difficult for you. Better few days of misery than lifelong sorrow.All the best.God bless you.

1 person likes this.
  7. swan02

swan02 Silver IL'ite

Thanks all for your advice

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  8. swan02

swan02 Silver IL'ite

9. Sandybeach

Sandybeach Silver IL'ite

Our society is pretty brutal to someone who is already low. I wish i could email you a story of someone I know which is similar to what has happened to you, it's quite touching. All I can say is, hang in there my friend because it is not as bad as it seems right now! Have you thought about dating someone who is not an Indian? I dont see how Indian men are any better or worse than anyone else out there. This will really open up your options, unless you have some specific reasons why you want to marry someone Indian... Maybe your parents can step in to help you here? You know, their friends...and their friends...word of mouth....and the rest. You never know! I agree with you, meeting someone online is probably successful in some/many cases, but it is quite scary to not know what lies beneath! As you said you could perhaps talk to your friends about wanting to meet someone, but maybe after this whole thing cools off a little bit... That is because i think it will avoid curious inquiries which you definitely dont need right now. They could still have those questions for you at a later stage, but by then you might be in a better position to handle them. Take care and let your work keep you engrossed in it so you dont have a chance to revisit all the old stuff!

1 person likes this.
  10. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Swan,
    Be happy and greatful to god tht u came to know about their true colors before marriage itself.. It takes some time to get over and u will surely get over..
    no need to worry about others comments..
    Now a days men are marrying and leaving women after marriage... so u r lucky to find true colors..all the best ..hope u hav a best future.

1 person likes this.