1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

outdoor activities in your backyard...

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by tikka, Sep 12, 2009.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

for a reluctant outdoorsman! DS does not like going outdoors, it takes so much cajoling to get him to step out. I am thinking of some outdoor activity equipment for kids - anyone done it... I looked at one brand - ok play - it is prohibitively expensive. Any others?

2. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

I assume the you are in Chennai.Our g.son also showed reluctance to step out of the house.But that was earlier, now that he 3 1/2, a tricycle is irresistable to him.Also likes to play 'kick ball'.

If you have enough space, just have a sand pit and the related toy equipment, like shovel etc. When it is hot, you can fill a large tub like his bath tub, with water and keep it outside, and throw a few of his fav. bath toys. If you have plants, you can show leaves, flowers, birds etc., and tell some stories of your own related to these.

Hope you can make him get out the cocoon!:thumbsup

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Kaluputti, I am in Chennai. I was thinking along those lines too, rounding up the list of usual suspects, and trying to get Ds involved in the usual outdoor play that I see children around me being involved in.
    He has never been movement oriented and it has been worse since his rather severe pneumonitis/asthma flare ups couple of months ago. His asthma is in good control now and I would like to try and build his stamina/lung capacity now...
    Parks - a good 30 mins from home - have limited allure, just the slide. At the beach, he is contended to sit in the sand and run his hands through it, singing. He is contended to play with his stuff, read books, and with music! He just sits on his tricycle...Of late, he has been complaining he is sleepy (tired) all day. Somewhat lost as to how I can get him to move, so was thinking along the lines of play equipment? Thanks Kaluputti. I wish DS would respond to your excellent ideas.

4. Ramya Satheesh

Ramya Satheesh Senior IL'ite

Krithika,

Are there any kids in your area? Seeing other children playing outdoor , he also will be motivated to play and he can make friends too. I take little A to a street which is about ten mins walk from my flat. its a dead end and children from the nearby apartment play there and we mommies also get a chance to interact.

cheers
    Ramya

5. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Tikka, how abt a sand box or just bucket of water with cups and stuff to play with. cycling would be fun if he has a buddy. sometimes they also go through a phase where they dont want too much activites. actually my kid is always hyper,likes to jump and run but now off late he just sits in sofa and watches tv, and dont even want to take his cycle out or go to park, he also sleeps for 2 to 3 hrs in noon, so was just wondering abt it, but the pediatrician said couldbe a phase and he willcome out of it.

hide and seek, ball catch, running around, hopping etc with kids, jump rope etc might work out.

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

How I wish I lived in a place near kids, my neighbours are either just married couples or 70+ couples with children living abroad... no one around. I do want to move actually, but....
    I am looking specifically for outdoor play equipment. Really, I have tried everything! Never mind...

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Krithi - We have the slide from OK Play http://www.okplay.in/Default2.aspx?divId=divToys (it was a gift for A's secong otherwise I would never have bought it looking at how much it costs!). Its very sturdy and A loves it. I should add though that he only went down it the right way for the first 2 days - since then he climbs up the sliding part and comes down either lying down face down or walks down (that was scary the first few times!). We also have a riding toy which does well outdoors and a tricycle 9which he hasnt got the hang of yet). When I was in the UK one summer I saw the kids playing/sliding around on a rubber sheet/tarp on which water had been sprayed - they seemd to love it. Might be worth considering.

V.

PS - Just looked at OK Play's website - they have some great stuff.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  8. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

How about Trampoline ? Even you & your hubby can jump alongwith him to increase his enthusiasm & have fun together !

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Vanathi, okplay stuff are really nice, but so pricey! If it was more than one child, I would not have thought another second. mmm, maybe it is time to remedy that :p
    His ride on, cycle, hoops are all getting rusted. I'am unwell, darling husband finds it easier to play the music and let the child play indoors. I forced a picnic in the yard down their throats Sunday, now DS seems to like that. We went fishing for ant hills after that.
    Today, we went composting. Baby steps. I planning on getting some plants and getting a kiddy nursery going in a corner where we do not plant much earlier.
    Vanathi, I have been wondering over the last week if the lack of physical activity was due to short achilles tendon. DS does a lot of toe walking (more 75 percent of the time) and prefers sitting down activities. It runs in DH's family and those who have it dont run well (Pa-in-law, DH, now Kiran?) DH's brother does not have it and he plays contact sports at league level. Our next paed's appointment is another 3 months,
    @Grace: Trampoline sounds wonderful. Thanks for that... I do tend to push age appropriateness :coffee, but is it safe from age 3?

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Krithi - definitley talk to your pedi about the toe-walking. It usually stops by 3 yrs; if it persists then he may need some treatment (maybe an ortho referral?).

Grace - love the trampoline idea too!

V.