1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Our Legacy - I Wonder - Do You?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Mar 10, 2016.

1. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Wait. Wh..whaaat? Winter? Are you sure its Dubai? We have winter? thinkingsmiley ... :rotfl

Yahhh true... :-( This year the so called 'winter' didn't even last a month, global warming effect to an already 'warm' Dubai! faintingsmiley

1 person likes this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Well well well, if it isn't a dear friend, who is it.

Yes, she is a deep thinker. Isn't email a communication legacy we are leaving behind? Children use empty bins tied with string to demonstrate ancient communication in school project. Future tots will demonstrate email similarly. The dude who first thought of it recently kicked the bucket. So, as with all legacies, the comparative gain and pain in its current usage can reach ebbs and heights that call for ceasing its use at times! Voila! Peace in the Guruwar mind, and every other day's mind. :)

3. Rihana

Maybe they'll think their grandmothers and great-grandmothers did it. :tongue

Sorry, could resist, but didn't. :) TGIF.

4 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Rihana,

I stand corrected and let us call them as "Foremothers". I know 50-50 claim continues when I feel it is already at 100+ in favor of "W" having pushed "M" = 0. bie1

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  5. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

If it makes you feel any better... LHS (west) = RHS (east), Hence Proved Equal! ;-) :2thumbsup:

77a01e841fe7fa987884ebef08c20669~01.jpg

Take it easy! Isn't that the basic philosophy of life? Cheer up! :)

( Now its upto the greater universe... Annnd it says "Peace"...! So Peace it is! ;-) )

1 person likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Rihana dear I saw your thread when there was feedback, I thought I will give the first feedback but after reading I did not know what feedback to give. Now after reading everyone's feedback only I understood what you have written. I told you na I am a tubelight.

Like Agatha for me also all days are same as I am leading a retired life. Since there is noone going to office or school I get up the same day everyday. But in my inner heart I feel Thursdays are precious because on that day we worship so many Gods, Lord Krishna, Lord Raghavendra, Lord Hanuman , Lord Saibaba etc

1 person likes this.
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Architects design awesome structures every day. I'm sure some will endure for future generations to gawk at.

Some of my favorites: Delhi's Lotus Temple, Denmark's Iceberg, Dubai's Atlantis, Milan's Bosco Verticale, Miami's Sunpath House, Ohio's Basket Building, Poland's Crooked House, Prague's Dancing Building, Sweden's Turning Torso, Tennessee's WonderWorks.

But I think the legacy that our descendants will appreciate is the Information Superhighway. They'll sit in their tiny homes, watch 360-degree videos of everything, then text (or ESP) their virtual friends to say how awesome it all is.

3 people like this.
  8. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

I recently visited Srilanka and they have a tourist attraction (nice concept) of experiencing village living for few hours...

So you get into a house which is half modern and half village like ... you get to see all things which old like a grinding stone, wood used for cooking, mud floors ... the host will welcome you into a traditional house, in a traditional way.. you sit on a mat, they make roti, chatni and basic subji using those grinding stones etc.. you can help them out or try your hand in these activities.. and eat sitting on the floor .. and you go to the paddy fields in a tractor, there is a autorikshaw ride etc etc... a good one actually..

Our future generation may have to visit "tourist" places in future to experience our "current lives" today

things that would be part of the tour would be

1) TVs (oh they used something called a "set top box" to receive signals and teenagers would giggle)

2) Drive cars on the roads to reach somewhere.. (who knows they may be flying to work every day or just don't have to go anywhere to work)

3) a visit to the supermarket... grocery shopping could be an exotic experience..

4) all the printers, fax machines, mobile phones, land phones, tabs ... you name it .... all these will be exotic old world experiences.. needless to say tape recorders which are already old school and could fetch some antique value..

5) Marriages ?? social structures ?? or the changes we are currently going through

6) Libraries (with real books) ?? .. I hate to even type this .. but could be... right ??

7) why ?? you will have historians going over all the IL threads to make sense out of how life used to be all those years ago...

I can go on and on... but will stop my ramblings now...

1 person likes this.
  9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@Swt.charu
    You visited Sri Lanka? Hey, I live here. Didn't know about your travel. Else, I would have hosted you or given you some good advice about your travel. Missed it.

Hope, you visited somewhere around Kalpitiya in the north west. That's where this home-stay sort of tourism concept is famous. I too like it.

2 people like this.
  10. Rihana

@iyerviji no you are not a tubelight. :) and if you insist on being one, I assign you to be the tubelight that was on top of the wall-shelfs in drawing room of my childhood. We used to step on the lower shelfs (built into the wall), to reach the top shelf, that had goodies like beautiful glass paper-weight, expensive tracing and onion paper, a really good pencil-eraser...

@Amica, that is very much possible! Could be a little sad to think of the even more reduced personal interaction, but then nothing is constant but change. And what do you think they'll think about the musical heritage we are leaving them? The various kinds of Bollywood songs? :p

1 person likes this.