1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Our Legacy - I Wonder - Do You?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

This Rihana is a deep thinker... no ? For the poor riff-raff, Thursdays are the days when we get "Big Bang Theory" episode on CBS TV.

One could get so depressed thinking that we are all in some kind of roller-coaster going up and down, screaming and yelling, and eventually the ride ends.

Legacy ?

1 person likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

The technology in future will be so advanced, our grandchildren and great grandchildren will be wondering how in the world our grandfathers and great grandfathers built such marvels without the help of the new technology. Aren't we wondering how a Chinese Wall, Pyramid, Temples and many other wonderful architectural structures were built without crane those days?

Viswa

2 people like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

True, very true. Had forgotten that visit... the view from the top, the restaurant (didn't go inside), and also, the Zayed mosque, with that huge carpet in the main area.

:) Planning the tight itinerary, I recall the mental bend it took to factor in a different local weekend.

Have you gone dune bashing? That brings to mind an idea for @Akanksha1982's story. The captain and flight attendant stranded in Dubai. Captain puts on local Arab dress - dishdashah and keffiyeh, and takes the flight attendant bashing in a buggy.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rihana

Damn! :) How could I miss thinking about the dams and freeways. Have visited them in India, and U.S. and done a pretty deep research into the U.S. freeway system and its origins with my kid.

True. And the audio tour commentary might point out the simple, clutter-free, ancient (now modern :)) lines in the design.

5. Rihana

"Guru-war" in the mind on "Guru-war". Wish I had though of Guruwar in terms of Guru directing the thinking! :)

Great examples. I am surprised I didn't think of these myself. They must be like mom's food.. you really miss it when you are the mistress of your own fridge.

Didn't think of our age being a milestone on the universe's timeline. Reassuring to think that most likely, children of the future, will have enough facts to memorize about this age. :)

Naah. :) Current life is enough of a struggle (along with the achievement) and no wish to come back and gawk at it...

2 people like this.
  6. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I haven't read the story yet, bookmarked it for a long Sunday read... Yes! Its an interesting idea but AK has to make sure the trip isn't during the peak summer months or her characters will be burnt to sand dust! ;-) 'Poof! Gone! The End! Kalaas!' :tongue

1 person likes this.
  7. Rihana

Agatha, much as I hate to agree, and go against the general optimism expected in such talk, I think that is very well possible - this age marking a low ebb of humanity.

8. Rihana

Like Gandhiji picture beaming down at us from the wall of every Govt. office. :)

True.. I guess items from the Olympics, which are sold dirt cheap in the week after the Olympics, will be legacy...

Thank you for dropping by. It is an honor, and also encouragement to not hesitate to air similar ponders in snippets. :)

9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

I think I agree! Will not these tell the stories of our times to the gen z..? How 'they' (us in past tense) lived in the 21century? They (the gen z in future) could be far advanced & ours might look very primitive and they might wonder, how the hell we did all these with just the 'basic' technologies! lol! But... All this, if the our gen z has not turned into zombies in the future!!! :biggrin2:

10. Rihana

I know.... I really know... Was there in "winter." Put on the sun-hat bought from Costco and packed carefully to avoid crushing, and nice beach shoes, and set out really early (like 9 AM) for a walk on Jumeirah beach or an equally fancy one nearby - there is this upscale shopping area, and shops along the street, which is a stone's throw from the beachline. "Winter" my foot... was sweating like a pig in minutes. Was funny to see us desi-looking tourists fretting like gora's and rushing to shade, cool drinks, and other such succour.