1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Our Bulbul Family

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Jan 14, 2014.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

[FONT=&quot]Sometime in the third week of December, 2013, a bulbul couple decided to build their nest in our verandah, above the curtain rod, with the curtain as a secure base . We tried our best to discourage them but had not succeeded.
    The nest made of dried leaves and sticks was built. In the last week the eggs were laid and we saw one or the other of the birds always in the nest.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of January, we felt the eggs had been hatched as we saw the birds busy flying in and out. Till then they had hardly left the nest unoccupied. It was interesting watching the parents. While one went out to get food for the babies, the other kept watch over the nest. As one came in the other went out. On the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] and 5[SUP]th[/SUP] we could hardly see the babies, they were so small. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But on the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] we could see three of them stretch the necks to take in what their parents put into their throats. On the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] we could not only see the little ones we could also hear them after they ate their food- worms and small red fruits. Sometimes the parents left the nest for more than ten minutes and at other times we saw them come in at regular intervals to feed the babies. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]10[SUP]th[/SUP] We could now see and hear the cheeping of the baby birds very clearly, They were growing fast and the nest seemed small for them. 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Jan The little ones had a fur covering and sometimes we saw them stretching their small wings and we were worried that they might try to fly and fall.
    14[SUP]th[/SUP] Jan- Today morning we were sitting in our verandah and the mother bulbul was not very happy about it and kept flying near us and we understood we were not wanted.We came in. After some time I saw one of the babies on the floor, near the door. I came inside, just then the mother back to the nest. She realized one of her babies was missing. She flew about searching for it, even went behind the curtain. The baby saw and heard the mother and flew after her. The mother then went to the nest and urged the babies to get out. One of them flew out to join the first one. She made the babies fly about encouraging them in their own language. She was not very happy about me watching and was a little aggressive. I closed the door and left them to their learning. After some time, everything was quiet, I peeped out and saw one baby in the nest and the two others had flown out with their parents. By afternoon, the one remaining baby in the nest flew out too .[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Less than a month after they had come into this world. We had been so anxious about their falling down and dying, but nothing like that happened. Thank God. :)

[/FONT]

Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.
    Rabindranath Tagore

“In order to see birds it is necessary to become part of the silence.” [FONT=&quot]Robert Lynd (Irish writer)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    View attachment 203233
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

This is really a wonderful account of happenings you have given. There was smile on my lips thorugh out the read. Thanks for sharing it here.