1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ouch !!! Casting Couch !

Discussion in 'Movies' started by shravs3, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

By stripping her clothes in public, she just conveyed to the producers & directors that they didn’t have to promise anything at all to her, she was anyways going to remove her clothes for absolutely free! She just proved that there needn’t have been any quid pro quo & that the directors were correct in not reciprocating to her by giving a role . What a mess:facepalm:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Seriously . Such a mad lady

3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

This is also what mr trump believes in . Any publicity is good as long as you get tongues wagging about you! Look where all the press got him to.

Sandycandy, shravs3 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Naari, there is absolutely nothing new in what Sri Reddy did. I didn't even raise my eyebrow! Show business needs showmanship and show-women-strip! Right from the times of Protima Bedi running nude on Juhu beach to Rakhi Sawant and her ridiculous acts, Mallika Sherawat n her outrageous statements to Kangana Ranawat n her loony rant! Success comes to those who can create scandals! One gets invited to participate and make millions on 'Big Boss' only on the strength of their scandals and the TRP raising antics. So, it is fair to show all in the show business! Sunny Leone's success reiterates that:)

Sunburst, shravs3, joylokhi and 2 others like this.
  5. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

You said it.. Actually seeing her reminded me of Rakhi Sawant instantly. Somehow I have always thought that careers of actresses who tried to succeed merely by exposing their bodies died a premature death, think Shilpa Shirodkar, Mallika Sherawat etc.. Instant and short lived fame and career! But looking at Miss Reddy, I think that even a day's fame might be a stretch, though I am not sure how talented she is. Possibly a storehouse of talent, but now she just trained everyone not to care about her talent at all.

Sunburst, shravs3, joylokhi and 2 others like this.
  6. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I think we need to think beyond the stripping scene to the actual issue she is trying to highlight. So what if a woman strips ? Is that allowed only in the context of movies that we watch ? We need to hear the woman out and critically think what her frustration is that she would be forced to give up her dignity. For those who are still unclear about why she stripped - she basically says that sexual favours appear to be the only way for the average Telugu heroine aspirant to land roles & gain the attention of the influential. She has had to forego dignity and strip in private so many times just to stay in the game that she is numb to feelings of shame. Since nothing else worked to get MAA to act on her application, she resorted to the only other way known to open doors. And open it did - it forced the MAA, movie fraternity & general public to react to her & the issue she was highlighting.

Lets all not act like sheep.. following the lead of holier than thou MAA who have effectively used her actions as a smokescreen to divert people's attention from the more important issue - casting couch and lack of protection for women. They have no answers for why there is no CASH or POSH setup following Vishaka guidelines. There is no comment on if they are investigating her grievances (beyond membership) since she accuses several of its own members of impropriety.

The criticism in the media and within the film industry is engineered behind the scenes by powerful men who are using this episode to show other women what their fate would be if they dared to protest even out of sheer desparation. The results are obvious : slut shaming, denial of membership, professional boycott, unemployment, eviction, homelessness and maybe even threat to life. Is it any surprise to see that no other actress has come to Sri Reddy's support ?

The response of the women leaders in MAA is not encouraging either. Women in the Telugu film industry are not known for holding fierce opinions like Kangana Ranaut. Culturally too they are taught to play well with the boys.. to support and yield to powerful men.

I think we as women, need to go beyond the smoke screen of outrage and examine what is this person's point of view? What would compel a person to take on the establishment single handedly risking censure, boycott and humiliation ?

This is very much a #metoo movement episode but outside the sanitised confines of twitter & online anonymity. Question is can you handle it in all its real, messy glory ?

My sympathies to her and the many voiceless women who are exploited in the film industry and elsewhere. Whatever Sri Reddy's means, I applaud her guts in taking on this fight.

7. GeetaKashyap

@madras2018,

Very well informed argument.

I differ from you in that, I don't see her as a hero, as a crusader or a martyr. Film industry is infamous for such exploitation. Earlier no woman from respectable family entered this line and those who entered had to/have to pay a price. After that those with good talent and/ or looks and connections came up and the rest ended up just on the couch till youth was on their side and later they themselves acted as pimps drawing other women into the flesh trade. Almost all well known south Indian actresses have been known to be a part of this circle. Hindi film press is more discreet but just tap any insider n dirty secrets of our topmost Hindi actresses will tumble out.You Tube has a couple of (spy) videos that show established names openly advocating casting couch to young aspirants. Men with money and power have always bought sex, married multiple times and exploited women sexually in return for favours. This has been the established norm. By stripping in front of that office and journalists, she forcibly took spotlight over her and she will get its benefits if she plays her cards well now. Industry honchos are too powerful to be intimidated by her brazen imbecile act. She is no brave hero. Her action was not even spontaneous. Videos circulated shows that press was already in the know how of her expected antics. I see through her game plan n I don't have sympathies. Yeah, those who exploited her did not give her the promised roles...but this cheating happens every where. Before her many starlets have become infamous too- Maria Susairaj, Shweta Prasad...

Sunburst, shravs3 and Archanaanchan like this.
  8. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

And what is wrong with that ? She did not claim to represent all exploited women. She spoke about her own life and struggles as a native Telugu woman, aspiring to have a career in the movies in some capacity. If she is paying the price, why not she reap the benefits ? And even if it was not her original intent - the fact is she has set a precedent of questioning the status quo. The next woman who dares will learn from her mistakes and may take other discreet measures such as leaking audio / video clips of men asking sexual favors.

Of course it was not spontaneous. And maybe she did call the media herself. Her intent was to publicise the issue widely to get maximum eyeballs and humiliate her abusers. What is wrong with that ? She previously had to let go of her dignity without results, atleast this time in doing so in public she is hoping for "justice" - whatever that is to her.

So, is it pointless to question such cheating ? Without women and men standing up against sexual exploitation how will change happen ? This may be a drop in the ocean but certainly will make an abuser who values his dignity think twice about being exposed.

This argument that "nothing is going to change anyway, why challenge " is specious. Then why do we have #metoo movement ? Is it acceptable and legitimate only when glamorous, caucasian actresses talk about it ?

Why is there a worldwide movement on pay parity for women ? Do we ever say that the activists are only in it for themselves ? Did the activists who take out a march in the U.S not call the media ?

Let's seperate the message from the medium (or in this case - the means). Her points are valid and her struggle is real - like that of many like her. Unless we walk a mile in her / their shoes it is wrong to judge.

9. GeetaKashyap

I just stated facts. Whys and why nots will always be there. Nobody is holy and innocent here. #MeToo is fine and her stripping to get attention is also fine. That still doesn't qualify her as a hero. Most of the #MeToo actresses walked out of such prepositions losing out on opportunities holding their heads high. That is what matters.

Sunburst and shravs3 like this.
  10. omnam

omnam Platinum IL'ite

She should have collected all proofs of demands for sexual favors and complain. After getting involved in dirty business, after giving all favors she is asking for justice. It wasn't a valid consideration.
    And its so funny when she is saying that Telugu actors should be given preference. Like engineering college seat or government job. I am sure any kind of exceptional actress will always make it her way. She doesn't look exceptional but in fact do look cheap.

Sexual favors always do easy growth. Not just in film industry. I know bunch of women who offer sex to men to get their things done in jobs. Their growth are phenomenal.

certainly such tactics of this sri reddy is for lime light only. nothing else.

GeetaKashyap likes this.