OSTER BLENDERS in United States

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Vinme, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Vinme

Vinme New IL'ite

Hi Guys,

I live in San Jose, California. Out of all other US Blenders, I heard Oster 16 speed blenders do a good job in grinding idly/dosa batter and making chutneys.

When i browse Amazon.com, there are so many models of 16 speed oster blenders coming up....
    1. Oster 6812-027-000 16 speed,
    2. Oster 6812-001 Code 16 speed,
    3. Oster 6878-042 Core 16-Speed,
    4. Oster 6859 16 speed.

Honestly, am kind of lost which 16 speed model to buy. Any feedback/ suggestion on Oster/ other US blender models you have used or currently using that are good for our indian way of cooking, will be greatly appreciated. Kindly specify your US Blender's MODEL number so that it will be easy for me to track.

Thanks in advance!
    Vin

2. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

HI Vin,

Oster blenders are powerful enough to grind idli/dosa batter, but the only thing is that it might not be as handy as the indian mixers. But compared to $150-$200 price range of indian mixers, this one does the job well.

Instead of buying from amazon, you can get it from walmart or macys for almost the same price. You can see the model and choose. I bought mine for around $30 from macys, not sure the model. I dont think there is much of a difference between these models.

If you wish to small jar for dry spice grinding, you'll need to buy it separately from amazon.

3. Vinme

Vinme New IL'ite

Hi, Thank you very much for your response. As you suggested, i will look for one in the stores instead of amazon. Is there a difference in grinding quality between 14 speed or 16 speed? Both say 450 watt motor, same glass jar but just price differs ( $25, $45).

Cheers
    Vin

4. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Infact the different speed settings are for different types of grinding - like CHOP, GRIND, WHIP, PUREE ETC. I think 14 speed is good enough. Please have a look into the below link (Page 4) - You'll find the comparison. Hope this helps!

http://www.oster.com/manuals/MANUALS/6642_43_90814182.PDF

Years back, I owned a 12 speed blender (pic attached), and it lasted for about 3 years. I used to grind idli batter with high loads, and I must admit it was roughly used. Later I bought a $200 Preeti Blue Leaf which lasted only less than 2 years though handled very carefully. So I feel the $30 I paid for Oster was worth it! I had a mini jar too which I bought from Amazon, and had to change its rubber rings (of the mini jar) once in a while.

oster.jpg

5. Vinme

Vinme New IL'ite

Thanks a ton ! Your post is so very helpful :)

You are my star ;)

Cheers
    Vin

6. rrahulakrishna

rrahulakrishna Silver IL'ite

hi
    thank u i got an idea abt blender in usa
    can u plz clarify two things pa?
    first one is how much batter (idli/dosa) u can make once?
    second,where did u get the rubber ring pa?
    DEEPA

7. rrahulakrishna

rrahulakrishna Silver IL'ite

THIS IS A REVIEW IN WALMART SITE FOR
    Oster Osterizer 14-Speed Blender, White

"But batter is a tough call. One should have a lot of time and patience. One needs to switch on and off, wait for the machine to cool down, as the product gets heated up due to heavy duty grinding like indian idly/dosa batter"

could u plz give me any TIPS regarding this?
    bcas u have experience in making batter in this blender right
    so plz