1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Orlando Trip -- Disney And Universal Studio

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sumalynux, Jun 15, 2017.

1. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Planning this long weekend of july 4th

I am planning 2 days of universal studios and 2 days of Disney world and may b half day of Harry Potter

Insane or doable Dh me n 2yrd old.

Any tips experience appreciated.

2. kalainat

kalainat Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    We lived in Florida for a year, but did not visit Disney (no kids) though visited other parks. It will be superb crowded -4th of July + summer vacation. Rides will have big queues - more wait time. Disney and universal are not cheap. For the amount we spend, I feel its necessary to enjoy them fully. So I suggest you to consider the timing of your visit. Better if you can avoid long weekends, major holidays. Tickets will be cheaper in off-season.
    If you still plan to go , here are a few tips
    1) Consider staying in disney hotels in/around the park. It will be costly compared to other hotels. But you will be given extended hours & early openings if you are staying in disney hotels. Also you get free round trip transportation for the airport.
    2) There is an option called Fastpass, which you can use to beat the queue. Its free for select no of rides. No extra charge for this. But you need to reserve the time-slot for each ride in advance.
    3) Car rental rates will generally be higher in Orlando compared to other cities, plus its 4th of July. Parking is also costly at the parks. I think its $20 per day. Consider taking an uber/lyft from the airport. Choose hotels which have free shuttle to the parks.
    4) Dining options inside the park is costly. Plan to have a heavy breakfast and pack lunch, enough snacks etc
    5) Humidity will be super high. Carry loads of water, preferably in a cooler.
    6) Get a poncho for each person . It costs around $3 at Walmart ( when it rains, they sell the same poncho at $15 each inside the park). You can never predict when it will rain there. If you have a poncho, you need not worry and happily roam inside, while most of the crowd will leave.(Personal experience)

sindmani and sumalynux like this.
  3. sumalynux

sumalynux IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for tips. Money is not a concern. Major concern is we might be leaving usa soon so want to visit before we leave..

I am not mainly interested in rides but theme parks.. Am confused it has rides like amusement parks?? I see different parks
    I am interested in magic Kingdom and animal Kingdom parks. Is it feasible to do 1 park each day.

We are not planning on renting a car its just single destination right we are planning to get drop and pickup in uber..

My rough plan is take a extended hotel stay within 30mins drive to Disney and universal studios. Do 2 days of Disney and 2days of universal studios... Since Have toddler planning to basic cooking for dinner and noon for kiddo atleast. DOABLE???

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Animal kingdom is sort of ok not great. I only Liked Lion King show and an indian inspired water ride with a temple.

The park closes at 5 or 6 I believe , look at other parks before deciding on animal kingdom. Magic kingdom is long hours and if you stay for electric parade it will well over 10 or 11 , so make sure you take stroller and a blankey for you son so he can sleep comfortably .

5. kalainat

kalainat Bronze IL'ite

Kids generally like Magic kingdom and animal kingdom . Epcot is mainly for grown-up kids&adults. Hollywood studios is based on disney movies, characters.There are many rides mainly for kids, some with height restriction for kids.
    If you are not interested in rides, then you can cover 1 park per day. But it requires lot of walking. Be prepared for that. Dont know if you have experienced Florida weather before. It drains our energy pretty fast. Stay well hydrated
    As far as stay, I think extended stay america is available within 10 miles. Good to have packed lunch and snacks. No good dining options inside plus they will be crowded as well. Plan to reach the park when the gate opens.
    There will be special fireworks at night for 4th of July. See if you can include that in your itinerary.