1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Organic Vegetable Gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by sdiva20, May 8, 2013.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

I wanted share my vegetable gardening efforts for this growing season. Last year I got a few raised bed installed in our back yard and had great success growing a bunch of different vegetables- zuccini, tomatoes (mortgage lifter, cherry, brandywine), yellow squash, beans, eggplants, tomatilos, red russian kale, variery of peppers, okra.

So this year I am emboldened to try some new veggies- brocoli, cabbage, curly and dinasaur kal, spagetti squash in addtion to the above. Last week we did so much that by sunday afternoon, i was ready to pass out. But great fun though.

There is something greatly calming about planting and watching it grow. What are you plans for this season? have you grown anything that you had excepional sucess? Share your stories.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

diva, I havent planned anything special this year. just the usual's like tomato, cilantro, peppers etc. The only thing different this year would be creating a small patch for my 17 month old. As of now she thinks its incredibly hilarious to pluck flowers off (started with tupils and daffodils); so I have a tough task ahead trying to teach her to let the plants be :(

1 person likes this.
  3. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

It is my husband who plans and I am the assistant (who sometimes disappears :)
    He usually used to have as much as 80 okra plants but this year we both have been super busy so we might have around 20 I think.. which is too little for us
    then the karela, dhoodhi, peppers, beans, .. i think there are few more.
    Then all kinds of herbs.
    Am posting pictures soon.

1 person likes this.
  4. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

AC- please do post pictures. I have spinach, chard and kale that I started picking and made a gnocci dish with spinach and chard and it turned out quite good.

I also use the greens on my breakfast smoothie every morning.

5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Rakhii- Great idea to involve your daughter. I see people brings their kids when come to pick out veggie plans and its so quite. Plus it will make them interested in eating those veggies.

I saw purple pepper and got a couple today. Never seen them before so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. So far I have green, orange, red and purple bell peppers as well as jalepenos and hot peppers.

6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

7. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

This year I have thought of starting growing veggies....so just want to give it a start with tomato, spinach, mint, n radishes :)....will let you people know if I get successful :)....