Options for Student loan--for H1Bs

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by SriVidya75, Mar 15, 2012.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Any idea what are the options for student loans for H1Bs.....It seems like even for private loans, they are asking for permanent residence/GC ..has one on H1B applied for student loans?

2. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Srividya, when I did my masters here, they gave me a loan as long as it is guaranteed by a GC holder. There wasn't a requirement that I had to be a GC holder. But, I was in F1 at that time. So, not sure things are different if the student is in H1B.

3. bujji_1522

bujji_1522 Silver IL'ite

Hi Srividya, what a coincidence!! I opened Indus ladies to post on the same issue. I am exploring couple of options, will keep you posted, please let me know if you find out some...

Bujji

4. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

Hi, my DH is on his H1B, and wants to pursue parttime/fulltime MBA course here while continuing his job. Do you think it is possible to study on H1B ?

5. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Hi vidya, how are you.. long time no see :)

Anyways, I guess immigration sites will be helpful. I did some check for you. Check this one out - Student loan for H1B visa holders

Fortunately our company had sponsorship programs for our masters. So didn't have this issue :)

Also try credit unions, I think usually they will allow any H1B to be the co-signer.