1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

OPT eligibility question - urgent!

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by neha1, Jan 6, 2012.

1. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

My School DSO says that I need to be on F-1 for one year to avail OPT. IS this true? I have heard ofcases in which students initiate the COS in the penultimate semester and then successfully apply for OPT at the end of the following semester.

i'm really confused. This coming Fall semester is my last semester and I have just started the COs process from my school. So when I had been there the DSO said I will not be eligible for OPT as my COS will come through only by April/May and I will be gradauting in Dec.

Do I have any other options? I know that going to India now and geting an F-1 appointment is one option but I'm worried what happens if the visa is rejected, then I will be stranded there while my classes start.

2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Any one? I really need a reply :(

3. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

That was the rule when I did my M.S. You need to be a full time student on F-1 for a full academic year (2 semesters - Fall and Spring) to be eligible for OPT. You can check other college websites to confirm this. I cross checked in the UPenn and Yale websites.