1. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions Formed By Self Holding Myself Back

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by hridhaya, Sep 13, 2018.

1. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I am feeling handicapped by my own opinion of others and the world. It blocks me from forming outside connections / relationships or just lead a calm life or go after my ambitions.

A simple example, I don't get why a lot of women focus a lot on dresses, make up, jewelleries etc to look beautiful. I believe people are naturally beautiful and a little enhancement would be fine. But sometimes dressing up is the main focus in somebody's life, I sense some discomfort in connecting with that person. I understand it is wrong of me and I don't know how to sidestep that feeling.
    Another example, if I found a person rude to another person, I won't find it easy to talk to them because I would not have been able to shake off the opinion that I had formed about the rude person.

Hope am clear. This is somewhat like a brahmin avoiding to dine with a non vegetarian friend (just saying) or a person of different caste in those days. I don't have these kind of hang ups but am held back by my own opinions.

I was talking about this to a friend of mine and she mentioned it is perfect to have good or bad opinions about others but why would it interfere in the way one communicates? I was trying to think along the lines of not forming any opinions at all and just see the person as they are in front of me.

I would like to know from you if you operate with or without these thoughts?

2. goldenhoney87

goldenhoney87 Silver IL'ite

This is the one I could recollect immediately. I was like this before(5 years ago may be)Opionated and judgemental enough to lose a close friend as she spilled the beans about somebody else's frictional personal life to the hungry ones who wanted to know.
    What I understood was when ever am trying to opine/judge am losing them.
    When i started taking many things on a lighter note/let go I could make many more real friends

3. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Your title is correct- your opinions are holding you back from enjoying other people's company. Why not appreciate your friends other qualities- not just their fashion "vices"? After all, it's only a small fraction of who they are.

In my own friendships, I've realized that I'm not good at making timepass friends. My friendships are generally quite deep- connecting either on personal level or familial level. This makes me extremely picky about the people I choose to connect with- I look for similarities in thought and relationship-building (those looking to compare lives and wealth need not apply). Not everyone has to be a close friend- your tribe can consist of the special few who you can share your opinions without judgement.

sindmani likes this.