1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion On Reason For Divorce (someone My Mom Told Me About)

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ATI, Sep 11, 2019.

1. DDream

DDream Platinum IL'ite

I am sure many women in India might be thinking the same (in some cases men too) . But they dont have the courage to do so due to social pressure and fear of unknown. The are expected to sacrifice their life for others ( dh, PILS, kids, their prestige). The bold and courageous Mrs M had the advantage that she lives in USA and don't have to think about the so called 'society' much. Sometimes "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." It is still a herculean task for an Indian women to walk out of marriage, even if she educated, independent or strong.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    yellowmango and confused4sure like this.
  2. confused4sure

confused4sure Silver IL'ite

How I want to see this day come true...

yellowmango likes this.
  3. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Ahh but that’s the catch - ILs did not care for me or show me any love or stop their crappy behavior even when I was 8 months pregnant. So why should I let them disturb my life? Love and respect are a 2 way street. They didn’t give a damn about me because they assumed their son will take care of them no matter what the DIL says. They never thought I would be strong enough to put my foot down and their son doesn’t want to take on all this extra work for them.

yesican likes this.
  4. ATI

ATI Silver IL'ite

Interestingly my PILs never did. My MILs MIL lived in their native village and MIL never lived with her. My parents did - my dad’s mom lived with us even when she was super sick in her last years and they had to have a full time nurse for her etc. my pILs assume their son/dil have to take care of them while my parents are determined to be independent. Probably because they know what it means to take care of older/ sick family member. My dad’s mom had dementia and used to do the most insane things - break stuff; light fires; hit everyone etc