1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One extra bed room - a true story

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by prathi, Oct 17, 2005.

1. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

I am sure most of the indian diaspora would relate to this story.

By some 1----unknown ONE BEDROOM FLAT: AN INDIAN SOFTWARE ENGINEER'S LIFE
    - A Bitter Reality

As the dream of most parents I had acquired a degree in Software Engineer and joined a company x-udd in USA , the land of braves and opportunity. When I arrived in the USA , it was as if a dream had come true.

Here at last I was in the place where I want to be. I decided I would be staying in this country for about Five years in which time I would have earned enough money to settle down in India .

My father was a government employee and after his retirement, the only asset he could acquire was a decent one bedroom flat.

I wanted to do some thing more than him. I started feeling homesick and lonely as the time passed. I used to call home and speak to my parents every week using cheap international phone cards. Two years passed, two years of Burgers at McDonald's and pizzas and discos and 2 years watching the foreign exchange rate getting happy whenever the Rupee value went down.

Finally I decided to get married. Told my parents that I have only 10 days of holidays and everything must be done within these 10 days. I got my ticket booked in the cheapest flight. Was jubilant and was actually enjoying hopping for gifts for all my friends back home. If I miss anyone then there will be talks. After reaching home I spent home one week going through all the photographs of girls and as the time was getting shorter I was forced to select one candidate. In-laws told me, to my surprise, that I would have to get married in 2-3 days, as I will not get anymore holidays. After the marriage, it was time to return to USA , after g! iving some money to my parents and telling the neighbors to look after them, we returned to USA.<SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","
    \r\n
    \r\nMy wife enjoyed this country for about two months and then she started\r\nfeeling lonely. The frequency of calling India increased to twice in a\r\nweek sometimes 3 times a week. Our savings started diminishing. After two\r\nmore years we started to have kids. Two lovely kids, a boy and a girl,\r\nwere gifted to us by the almighty. Every time I spoke to my parents, they\r\nasked me to come to India so that they can see their grand-children. Every\r\nyear I decide to go to India . But part work part monetary conditions prevented\r\nit.
    \r\n
    \r\nYears went by and visiting India was a distant dream. Then suddenly one\r\n*day I got a message that my parents were seriously sick. I tried\r\nbut I couldn\'t get any holidays and thus could not go to India</font>[font=\"Tahoma\"][size=\"2\"]\r\n.[/size][/font][font=\"Arial\"][size=\"2\"]The next message I got was my parents\r\nwere passed away and as there was no one to do the last rights the society\r\nmembers had done whatever they could. I was depressed. My parents were\r\npassed away ! without seeing their grand children.
    \r\n
    \r\nAfter couple more years passed away, much to my children\'s dislike and\r\nmy wife\'s joy we returned to India to settle down. I started to look for\r\na suitable property, but to my dismay my savings were short and the property\r\nprices had gone up during all these years. I had to return to the USA.\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\nMy wife refused to come back with me and my children refused to stay in\r\nIndia. My 2 children and I returned to USA after promising my wife I would\r\nbe back for good after two years.
    \r\n
    \r\nTime passed by, my daughter decided to get married to an American and my\r\nson was happy living in USA . I decided that had enough and wound-up every\r\nthing and returned to India . I had just enough money to buy a decent 2\r\nbedroom flat in a well-developed locality. Now I am 60 years old and the\r\nonly time I go out of the flat is for the routine visit to the nearby temple.\r\nMy faithful wife has also left me and g! one to the holy abode.
    \r\n
    \r\nSometimes I wondered was it worth all this? My father, even after staying\r\nin India, had a house to his name and I too have the same nothing more.\r\nI lost my parents and children for just ONE EXTRA BEDROOM. ",1]);//--></SCRIPT>

My wife enjoyed this country for about two months and then she started feeling lonely. The frequency of calling India increased to twice in a week sometimes 3 times a week. Our savings started diminishing. After two more years we started to have kids. Two lovely kids, a boy and a girl, were gifted to us by the almighty. Every time I spoke to my parents, they asked me to come to India so that they can see their grand-children. Every year I decide to go to India . But part work part monetary conditions prevented it.

Years went by and visiting India was a distant dream. Then suddenly one day I got a message that my parents were seriously sick. I tried but I couldn't get any holidays and thus could not go to India .The next message I got was my parents were passed away and as there was no one to do the last rights the society members had done whatever they could. I was depressed. My parents passed away without seeing their grand children.

After couple more years passed away, much to my children's dislike and my wife's joy we returned to India to settle down. I started to look for a suitable property, but to my dismay my savings were short and the property prices had gone up during all these years. I had to return to the USA.

My wife refused to come back with me and my children refused to stay in India. My 2 children and I returned to USA after promising my wife I would be back for good after two years.

Time passed by, my daughter decided to get married to an American and my son was happy living in USA . I decided that had enough and wound-up every thing and returned to India . I had just enough money to buy a decent 2 bedroom flat in a well-developed locality. Now I am 60 years old and the only time I go out of the flat is for the routine visit to the nearby temple. My faithful wife has also left me and gone to the holy abode.

Sometimes I wondered was it worth all this? My father, even after staying in India, had a house to his name and I too have the same nothing more. I lost my parents and children for just ONE EXTRA BEDROOM.<SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","
    \r\n
    \r\nLooking out from the window I see a lot of children dancing. This damned\r\ncable TV has spoiled our new generation and these children are losing their\r\nvalues and culture because of it. I get occasional cards from my *children\r\nasking I am alright. Well at least they remember me. Now perhaps after\r\nI die it will be the neighbors again who will be performing my last rights,\r\nGod Bless them. But the question still remains \'was all this worth it?\'</font></font>\r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n
    \r\n",0]);D(["ma","[1,\"\",\"1184403100303007874\"]\n"]);D(["ce"]);D(["ms","506"]);//--></SCRIPT>

Looking out from the window I see a lot of children dancing. This damned cable TV has spoiled our new generation and these children are losing their values and culture because of it. I get occasional cards from my children asking I am alright. Well at least they remember me. Now perhaps after I die it will be the neighbors again who will be performing my last rights, God Bless them. But the question still remains 'was all this worth it?'

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
    VinuthaS, IniyaaSri and Caide like this.

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

So true

Hi Prathi,

That was such a moving and true story. Life abroad is so poor- it deprives one of all the riches and values that matter.

rgds
    Vidya

3. poojitha

poojitha New IL'ite

This was more appropriate a few years back!

Hello Prathi,

I remember reading this earlier as a forwarded email. That time I was not married and was in India enjoying the spinster life. I thought I should never get married to anyone abroad, then would end up getting stuck in abroad life and would never get back home.

But I think this story was more close to reality a few years back...when software industry was booming ONLY in the USA and when people were minting money. But now people in the software industry are making good money everywhere - especially in India (in places like B'lore and Hyderabad). I know a friend of ours who moved back from Canada to India (B'lore) after 15 years of Canada life. They settled with a posh apartment, Skoda car, their children in good schools, etc. I am not bringing up just one in a million story.

These days I think though there are lots of people who get change their citizenships to stay abroad, still there are many who really go back to their home country and want to go back once they make a decent living. People off-late have started realizing the value of relationships, family, friends and values back home.

I wish this story becomes soon no where close to reality. That would be the dream of many parents back home whose children are living abroad. Isn't it???

VinuthaS and sindmani like this.
  4. sapthu02

sapthu02 Gold IL'ite

Really a nice one!!