1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Once You Read This You Do Not Have To Read Anything Else!

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Sridhar !

Sorry to be going on & on ! But I just want to mention, in my copy, the caption was given as "Strive to be happy". I saw the word desiderata only in your posting.
    Probably desiderata, in whatever ( Polish?) language means "strive to be happy".
    As you have written that is the "essence" of the whole ppoem.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

It is a Greek Word!

Dear Chitra,

Desiderata is a Greek Word. There is no precise translation for that in English. There are varied opinions. One says it means "the very essence". And the other says "Things to be desired for". Both these meanings appear all right to me.

Desiderata is plural and the singular form is desideratum.

"Strive to be happy" is the 'punch-line' of this great poem.
    sridhar

3. varalotti

You said what I wanted to hear, Kamla!

Dear Kamla,

That was what I was waiting for. I wanted somebody to say that this is in continuation of the Emotional Needs thread, in a different, subtle manner. And you have done that.

Meditating on this poem will make us emotionally sensible and even fulfilled. It will remove the wrong expectations and help us make the right decisions.

I am happy Kamla, that you liked the poem. I am now tempted to keep Saturdays Thread loaded with such things, if it is agreeable to you and all the ILites.
    regards,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

Thanks Bipasha!

Hello Bipasha,

thanks for those words. Literature is so wide that even if you be there in the field for a hundred years you cannot read everything.

You need not have even told that you are a literature student. The words you have used to describe the poem speaks about your taste in literature.

There are many literature students (and even teachers) in IL. Fortunately my first post happened to be a rare poem which many of them have not read. Well, it may not be possible to give such new things every time.

So next time when you find something you already know please bear with me and give your views.
    regards,
    sridhar

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Thanks for posting this lovely poem and lightening our "emotional " burden. True, that after that heavy stuff, i really enjoyed reading this.....it made me so calm and peaceful.....and how true is each line!
    I liked this line below.....
    "Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth."
    What wisdom, and if we are able to understand and follow even a bit of this, our life will be meaningful, i feel.
    Thanks for this week's lovely posting!:clap

6. varalotti

Thanks Sudha

Dear Sudha,

After that "nasty" case I was also upset. But we should not confine our vision only to those things which please us. In fact if I had posted this poem earlier than the "nasty" thread, it's impact would not have been this much.

I also like the lines you have quoted. When we are young we have to carry our youth and its treasures gracefully and when it is time for us to hand over the baton to the next runner (life is a relay race) we should do it with equal grace. And once we hand over that we should not quit the race. We should run in a different course towards a different target. When the changeover is smooth, seamless and graceful we would be growing old; but when we resist then we would only get old and sick too.

That is a part of the import of those powerful lines which you have lovingly picked from that great poem.

Dear all,

Right now I am reading a book, "Report to Greco" by Nikos Kazantzakis. If you can lay your hands on that book, please do read it. Normally I never comment about a book till I am finished with that. But this books is an exception. It is an autobiographical novel, not only of the author's life but our lives too.

If it is physically and legally possible I would have posted the entire book (512 pages) in IL. But since that is not to be, those of you who can get that book, please do read.
    regards,
    sridhar

7. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

uplifting

One should read this poem when one is feeling down and beaten. It gives you serenity and a calm acceptance of the situations one faces in life. I had read it earlier, but in a hurry, so the depth escaped my attention. Now, in a more contemplative mood I truly savoured and lingered over every word. You did the right thing (Varalotti, u can't always be wrong!) by sharing Desiderata with all of us.
    Sharada

8. varalotti

I am right, at last. Thanks, High Priestess!

Dear Sharada,

thanks for accepting that once in a blue moon I can be right. In fact I had prepared a heavier emotional needs thread. And at the last moment I changed my mind and opted for this beautiful poem.

Now I am legitimately proud to have won the seal of approval from the High Priestess.
    regards,
    sridhar

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

all we desired

Varalotti,

U have truly touched the pinnacle with this posting and touched our hearts too.

cheers
    Vidya

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  10. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    thanks for the posting of this lovely poem. This comes as a boon- this boosts our positive emotions when we are feeling low. This is surely an energiser. And the words are very apt for today's world also, even though it was written so many years ago. I shall make a copy of this and read it daily firth thing int he morning.
    And almost all have chided you for posting the emotional thread. But the thruth is very bitter, thee are more hopeless cases in this world than the one you have shown. I am happy and releaved that our members are fortunate enough not see or hear of such things.