1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Once You Read This You Do Not Have To Read Anything Else!

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Sep 15, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

<center>
    Most Gracious ILites,
    I felt guilty of making you feel heavy with Emotional Needs thread. It is okay to discuss such heavy things during the middle of the week, but not during weekends.
    So this Saturday I am posting the Mother of All Poems, the one thing if you read just once, you do not have to read anything else.
    Out of love and affection for you I suggest that you read the Desiderata every day when you open the site. You are welcome to post your views, intrepretations and commentaries on this great poem.
    This poem inspired Osho Rajneesh to write a whole book Guida Spiritualle on the meaning of the poem.
    If we can arrange our life in such a way that it becomes a living commentary on this poem, then we would not have lived in vain.
    Varalotti
    Desiderata
    Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let not this blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself.

Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy.

--- Max Ehrmann, 1927
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

</center>

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006

2. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

speaks truth..

Thanks Mr.Sridhar, for sharing this beautiful poem with us..I have one doubt, is it the real form of this poem?
    thanks again,

3. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

emotional needs

Dear Mr.Sridhar,
    Yes; the emotional threads was truely heavy. :confused: I do not know if it is really necessary to post such stories. Anyway you compensated with the beautiful poem! Especially the last stanza is so good. I am sure Chithvish could appreciate this poem better than me as she is well versed with vedantha and geetha.
    Regards
    Savideva

4. varalotti

Yes, This is the real form of the poem!

Yes, Shahana, this is the original form of the poem written by the poet in 1927. The poet Max Ehrmann wrote in 1927. He wrote it mostly for himself as a guide to his life.

The Rector of St.Pauls Church printed this poem in the church's letter head and distributed to the parishioners. In the letter head it was written that the Church was founded in the year 1692.

A journalist who saw the poem thought that it the poem itself was found in the Church in 1692.

So flouting all copyright laws this poem was mass-copied and circulated. The person who had acquired the copyright was devastated by this act.

But besides the majesty of the poem all these minor details seem irrelevant.
    sridhar

5. varalotti

Thanks

Dear Mrs.Savithri,
    I am happy that you liked the poem. As regards Chitvish, I am sure she might have already read the poem.
    But, madam, life is not always a bed of roses. I am sure ILites are enjoying the poem more because of the emotional needs threads which should have deepened their feelings.
    I will be back with something connected with emotional needs next wednesday.
    regards,
    sridhar

6. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Thanks!

Sridhar,
    Thanks again for the informations about the poem and the poet. It is so surprising that the poet wrote it mostly for himself as a guide to his life. I never heard about this poet during my studies in literature. After the heavy post in emotional needs thread , this is a comfort and expect more like this in future..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar !

You are right. I read through this everyday, because I like it immensely. This was given to me in one of my energy classes.
    Infact I was planning to post it in this forum one of these days. I am very glad you did it.
    Yes, as you have written, in my copy the source was marked as St. Paul's Cathedral. Now, I stand corrected.
    "Be cheerful. Strive to be happy" are the words which I like very much next only to "Go placidly among the noise and the haste".
    These words apply very well to us, after the " emotional needs" thread !
    Thankyou for posting my favourite Desiderata.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

A Beauty!

Dear Sridhar,

What lovely words. I have come across this poem sometime back and somehow, it had totally slipped from my memory. Thanks for bringing this here. Every line and stanza seems to hold the secret to a wholesome life. I should share this poem with all my loved ones.
    In a way, this too seems to be a continuation of the Emotional needs thread for I feel, if you follow even some of the advice imparted in these lines, your emotions will be taken care of as you will be living a life of awareness:)

L, Kamla

9. bipasu_1950

bipasu_1950 Junior IL'ite

about Desiderata

:-D ,
    hello,sridhar,
    i have read the poem for the first time even though i am aliterature student.when you read the poem,you will feel like going deep inside an ocean and getting cleansed with juices of peaceful and relieving thoughts.actually it is a necture full of emtional support.thank you very much.
    with regards,
    Bipasa:-D

10. varalotti

Thanks Chitra

Dear Chitra,
    I am happy that you not only like this but also that you have read this already. Everybody who commented on this great piece of work were stunned by the last words. Strive to be happy. It is enough if one meditates on these words. The rest are frills.
    regards,
    sridhar