1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On Inappropriate[ Gaffes] And Indiscreet Statements[ Faux Pas]

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jan 27, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

ON INAPPROPRIATE[ GAFFES] AND INDISCREET STATEMENTS[ FAUX PAS]

When we went to a professors house at Trivandrum on a Sunday morning unannounced we found the professor,his son,his grandson etc sitting clad just in towels.Obviously they were getting ready for a bath.We apologised for the intrusion.The amiable gentleman said not to worry and in turn apologised for the skimpy robes stating”he- he sorry for our dress-you see we are all in the family way”What the gentleman meant was that in the absence of outsiders they were relaxing as a family.

We had a colleague from UP whose spoken English was a translation of thoughts in Hindi.Once he permitted an employee to go by air which he was not authorised to do.When questioned by a Madrasi accountant the UP gentleman replied”but he has already flown and moreover your ancestors have never questioned me in the past”.What he meant was the accountant’s predecessors. The accountant laughed and said that he was the first person in his family working for the company.

A senior officer was transferred from Poona, his native place to Goa.On arrival his boss asked him”so Sawant –you have moved lock stock and barrel”Yes sir I have locked the house properly as lot of things are left in the house.The same chap wanted a promotion as he was hardly working.

A bachelor says-I am no longer a bachelor now as quite a few relatives have come to stay with me on a holiday.A teacher was annoyed with his girl student for not doing home work for three days and giving one after other excuse and scolded her “you have been lying with me for the last three days”.On complaint from the students,the teacher was reprimanded for the wrong usage of words.

A senior colleague of mine irritated my boss by misusing the phrase as “heart of the bottom”.My boss called me and asked me to do something as otherwise he may be tempted to hit the fellow.I gently broached the subject to my colleague and said to use “bottom of my heart” instead.He said he was aware of this and it was just a “tongue of the slip”. I controlled my laughter and my boss also enjoyed the gaffe.

Many years ago there was jaundice in Cuttack.A hotel owner always conscious of his expertise put up a notice board to reassure his customers about the quality of the water.The notice board read “water served in this hotel is personally passed by the manager”much to the merriment of onlookers.

Prince Philip known for his candour once declared the mini rail operation said”I declare this open whatever it is”” On his visit to Australia he asked the aborigines”Do you still throw arrows at each other”.Remarks like British women cant cook became famous for” spicing up the dullest moments”.

Now let us come to the great Donald Trump.He has introduced a new word in English COVFEFE meaning coverage referring to the press.He called Prince of wales as prince of whales. Talking of wars he said-US will protect Japan if it is attacked but in the reverse scenario Japan can watch it on Sony TV. He called Tim Cook as Tim Apple. The best one was when he told French President Macrons wife : “you are in such good shape”He is ridiculed for his faux pas but commoners empathise with him.”

Imran Khan on the other hand invited ridicule when he said that Germany and Japan are immediate neighbours.Anand Mahindra tweeted “Thank God that Imran Khan was never my history or Geography teacher”.

This snippet will not be complete without famous quotes of Rahul Gandhi. Commenting on the frequent foreign travels of PM,he said in the parliament”Pradhana mantriji BAR jate hain instead of Bahar jate hain.You must see the video showing PM and others bursting into uncontrollable laughter. “I want a day to come when Obama saab, America’s President, brushes his teeth with a peppermint toothbrush that is ‘Made in Barabanki’. If someone eats mango, the box should read ‘Made in Lucknow,” Rahul had said, triggering several memes and jokes on Twitter.

A gaffe [blunder] in simple terms means saying something inappropriate either through words or body language.This happens when we are unaware of facts,excited or not serious about the language we use.One thing is certain-this provides cannon fodder for feverish tweets and panel discussion on TV channels which will not allow such moments to slip through their fingers.

French foʊ ˈpɑ/. a slip or blunder in etiquette, manners, or conduct; an embarrassing social blunder or indiscretion.While you and I unknowingly commit faux pas it evokes laughter but in the case of public p figures ,it can lead to stress and strain in national and international arena..

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

A good humorous post sir.

A gaffe that most, almost 99% of the wedding invitations from my family and friends from India request our presence in the marriage of "bride/groom" with "bride/groom". It should be "to"

One does not get married with someone; one gets married to someone.
    I tried telling this to many but only ended up with people looking at me as if I am crazy.
    I now keep quiet following the adage, "majority wins; but minority is always correct" :)

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear kkrish,
    Glad that you liked the post.With and to in marriage invitations is common.On the other hand ,in telephone conversation" am I talking"" to means one way communication whereas the correct statement will be "am I talking with" which means both are conversing with each other.Considering that English is not our mother tongue we have progressed astonishingly well.
    Regards
    SLN

kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear SLN Sir,

A great collection of real life humorous statements. I enjoyed reading them. I had a colleague who is hardworking and extremely humorous. Whenever he schedules a call with many of us waiting in his room, he will dial a phone number. Whoever we are trying to reach, his or her secretary used to ask, "May I ask who is calling?", he will reply, "Please go right ahead and ask". Then she would ask again, "May I know who is calling?", again he will reply, "Sure, you can". Finally, the Secretary will ask, "What is your name?" and then he would reveal his name.

In another situation, we all visited a company and asked the receptionist that we would like to meet with the CEO. She replied, "He is with his Secretary at present and you can't see (instead of saying meet) him now". My colleague smiled and said, "Okay, We understand the situation. We will wait". Everyone laughed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    You have enriched my collection of humorous statements.Let me add one more.I went with my Director to meet the MD of another company by appointment.His secretary appeared and said sorry to keep you waiting-he is tied up.My Director an Englishman quipped "send him a knife"With great difficulty I controlled my laughter over his repartee.
    Thanks.
    SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

"With and to" are common sir, but that does not make the usage of "with" correct in this context.

Similarly, "please RSVP" is akin to saying "please please respond"... common but incorrect.

I just joined the discussion for discussion sake; not critisizing or ridiculing anyone.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

I just joined the discussion for discussion sake; not critisizing or ridiculing anyone.[/QUOTE]
    I understand the context in which you referred to the common mistakes that are committed.Many mistakes are the result of thinking in mother tongue and translating in English.When someone comes home we say in Tamil vango,vango,vango.This is repeated in English as come,come,come-instead of come in please.Some senior wanted to copy the youngsters and used the word awful instead of awesome.Please do share with us any other common misuse of the language-It makes interesting reading.
    Regards
    SLN

Thyagarajan and kkrish like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Dear @sln
    I enjoyed your jotting your humour infested post on · faux pas .
    2. Verbatim translations from mother tongue to English often results in ludicrous humour.
    Russian translated a monk’s statement “ spirit is strong but flesh is weak” into
    “ vodka is fine but mutton is rotten”.
    As a student “ Uppuma oosi pochhu“ stands translated into “ salt flower needle gone”
    3.those who studied in mother tongue other than English beset with this type of translation till they go about reading English voraciously.
    4. My neighbour’s grand daughter was telling me “ I am not going to go with mom”.
    5. When boss and staff spoke bit acrimoniously, boss ordered him at the top of his lungs to get out of the chamber. The staff retorted, “ why I get out? You get out me”.
    6. There was one MP during DMK Government in TN by name Mahdi azghan மதிஅழகன். At 9 o’clock news bulletin, the Air News reader broadcasted “Srimadhi Azhgan intervened.....”.
    7. From my dad - In an interview in Indian dominion during British rule, “why bottom of Queen Elizabeth is always wet? .”
    Candidate answers, “ because she always sails on sea”.
    8. In London parliament, a member of the ruling party begins to say something:
    “ I conceive, ......I conceive, ......I conceive ...”
    Winston Churchill interjected, “ you conceived three times but yet to deliver”.
    9. About Question Dodgers in the office:
    “You are late today”.
    “ am I late today Sir?”
    “You are daily coming late”
    “Am I coming daily late Sir?”
    This man was posted to my department.
    He came late. In presence of other staff I said to him,
    “ you are very early for tomorrow’s work”
    He felt dumbfounded.
    Thanks and Regards.

God - in your various incarnations but for wit how can you outwit your opponents/ enemies?

kkrish likes this.
  9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thyagarajan likes this.