1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On Being Rich

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

I was practicing Chartered Accountant in India in late 1970s. I used to regularly represent Income-tax cases both with ITOs and Appellate Assistant Commissioners and Commissioners of Income-tax. Once an ITO set up the hearing at 11 a.m. and I expected the case to be heard for an hour with questions. He was combative for nearly two hours and we were nowhere near concluding the hearing. Eventually around 1 p.m., he asked, "Did you eat anything? Why don't we continue our discussion at Taj?" As you know Taj was a five-star hotel opposite to the Income-tax office in Nungambakkam High Road. I agreed and we both had a nice lunch and obviously I paid for it. But he didn't utter one word about the hearing during the entire lunch session. After we returned to his office, he just signed the file and accepted the tax return as is.

Viswa

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: A team of officers from audit department turned up to inspect and assess quantum of work with a view to suggest reduction of staff. They inspected our records for the previous five years to arrive at average work load. After 2 weeks the head of the team a director of audit suggested around 23 % reduction overall and 2 & 1/2% reduction of officers. If the report is accepted and signed as it is I would lose major chunk of experienced staff. Once staff surrendered, it would be difficult to get sanction for additional staff. I was about to go for lunch. Then I had an idea. I planned for the entire audit team - a visit to the docks and an excursion to a cargo ship just birthed with substantial and huge consignments being unloaded on wharf. They spend almost the entire day next and captain of the ship entertained them with food and beverages.
    Next day the final report re-made suggesting to government to sanction for 2% additional staff and one more junior officer. I happily co- signed the report.
    I got approbation from my senior for this wonder.
    Regards.

3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Interesting. It was very clear to us that food and drinks can make the mare go. So we would casually invite the prospect for a dinner.

Thyagarajan likes this.