1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On Acknowledgement

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Aren't you glad that your college buddy didn't have a friend/cousin like @Novalis to help him with a love-note-draft ?
    Whoever heard of using "notwithstanding" in a love note ? That read like an old civil service intra-office memorandum.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Amulet
    I have seen guys those days who started their reply to a love-letter with 'With reference to your letter of date or Apropos your letter' Their letters used to be long and winding, the idea being that the receiver should have no idea of what this fellow was writing about.
    a love letter of last century for you:
    "I have your picture in my room. I never pass by it without stopping to look at it; and yet when you were present with me, I scare ever cast my eyes upon it. If a picture which is but a mute representation of an object can give such pleasure, what cannot letters inspire? They have souls, they can speak, they have in them all that force which expresses the transport of the heart; they have all the fire of our passions...."

Amulet and Mistt like this.
  3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Oi! Ramona, that's believably, clearly Beezus and not Bess!

Hehe! Scented love-letter should have at least a "notwithstanding" and an "indomitable" to distinguish himself from the riffraffs and creeps.

Amulet likes this.
  4. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya, visiting India years ago, happened to watch the teleseries "Kuch Rang Pyar Ke Aise Bhi". In the episode here , the guy reveals his feelings in the last two minutes.

"Miss Sonakshi Bose, I love you"

Beaming instantly, the doubtful woman hesitantly inquired: "You love me ? You love me as a friend? Like friend loves another friend ...?"

And the guy interrupted, "I love you as a man loves a woman."​

Gobbling aloo paratha, I erupted in a laughter to my mom's confusion. I never watch television let alone Hindi drama series in India. Sitting on the couch, eating aloo paratha, keenly watching the scene play out between the lead. No melodrama! But cute inquiry .."Dude, what kind of love is it?"

I grasped that 'sea-change' of love in today's romances as swiftly blurting 'i love you' is inadequate as that sacred phrase has been attenuated with all offshoots of love in human relationships with friendly love, chatty love, Game of Thrones fan love ...that an uncommitted man/woman would utter that 'i love you chun chun chun' to other single friends in solidarity to convey a range of emotions from: 'i love you dude for recommending me that book' to: 'i love you for insisting jam over peanut butter and not peanut butter topped'.

Challenging for a man to articulate his precise fondness for a woman, supplemented by clarifications like a 'man is fond of a woman' in current times when both are engulfed by too many lovelorn tropes. Friends tell each other 'i love you' more than couples do that a woman is compelled to further clarify the exactitude of that love with a man.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Amulet likes this.
  5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Rihana likes this.
  6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rihana,
    A wonderful and thought provoking piece on acknowledgement giving comfort to the recipient as much as a postal ack gives comfort to the sender.All of us crave for recognition and appreciation.This is perhaps the prime mover for greater efforts.To go one step further compliment in public and reprimand in private is a practical advice to make the appreciation meaningful.
    Regards
    SLN

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  7. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Moved to Never Mind.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

hi , i really liked this snippet of yours and have often noticed you mentioning the importance of an acknowledgement in various relationship advices you have offered. i must follow this practice of acknowledging others good and bad feelings a lot more . its always easy for me to do it to strangers but very tough with people i know and where it matters or i feel its sometimes just my ego that comes in the way. thank you.

Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  9. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Dear @Rihana

If someone were to poll for the most haunting blog in IL, I would undoubtedly point to this thread.

I had previously scratched two black-hole posts onto this thread (def: posts which disappear before one reads) because I felt such b-h indulgence could careen this thread into personal musings. However, I am compelled to enter one more time -- as the thread has been dormant bereft of any misdirection -- on that Wittgensteinian philosophy of how small a thought it takes to fill someone in connectivity. Just an ack! It is just acknowledging someone's presence in our life through a small gesture.

You know, in humdrum conversations with friends, one of them casually utters something which intrigues us, not because the idea was so unheard or radical till then, but it was buried invisible by our itinerant thoughts and brought to the fore in subsequence with much insistence. You have been that potted insistence!

I have grappled with similar emotion inherited from this 'ack' thread that something so fillingly trivial is given the airs of hurriedness. In our hurry to own the next experience, we abruptly snap out of the previous experience without acknowledging the situational gratitude. I have to be mindful in ack-ing friends taken for awful granted.

Usually public-spirited and welfare speeches end with a gracious appeal: if I was able to convert one person. Rihana ...tell you ...you just had me with the title itself 'on acknowledge'. I may be your proselytized convert.

I can vocalize more reflective drips on this thread on why it is so haunting but invariably they would all converge on how timely nudge of a thread it has been.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Having completed so much of discussion about acknowledgement and love letters here among many stalwarts, it is time to have some sense of humor here as to how various ILites would have responded if we were all of the same age group:

1) @Novalis - At a very young age, one of my friends told me not to thank often as it would loose its significance. Therefore, I duly acknowledge your effort to express your love. This is to let you know that I did receive your letter and make a note to myself that you wrote a love letter to me.

2) @Cheeniya Sir - Notwithstanding anything contained in my response expressing how much I enjoyed reading your letter, I don't like you to misconstrue this as reciprocation as I intend to consult my dear friends in Triplicane before I come to the final conclusion. Eventually, we both know well that we need to pass the test of the respective parents.

3) @Rihana - I acknowledge your letter as I consider acknowledging the letter is important. However, there are some important information missing in your letter. Have you tried to build relationship with any other woman before and if so, what was the response from her? If you have done it before and if there is still scope for materializing it, you should make an attempt to make it work out first.

4)@Viswamitra - Let us watch "Bobby" together tomorrow as I have two tickets and then go to Ganesh Temple in the Luz corner. During that time, we can discuss it further. Mind is a mystery and we can never predict how it works. Everything is God's will.

5) @Thyagarajan Sir - Before responding to your letter, I would like you to know more about me. I can cook, solve magic square during my spare time to win some money, my first love is Engineering and I can write wonderful snippets. If you like some of these qualities, I expect you to send further response to me. In the meantime, "Let us hope everything happens at God's speed".

Amica, Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.