1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On Acknowledgement

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Apr 2, 2019.

1. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Undoubtedly, they fell in love and got married and their son is now a bigwig at the World Bank? Acknowledge paper, ignore a cri de coeur? Cheeniya, you're leaving out the important stuff!

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

My husband's great grandfather was a great threat to everyone.It was customary to give filter coffee to guests.Whenever he was given coffee, invariable he used to say,'it is too light, or very dark or too sweety, too clod or too hot, too little or too much etc etc.If he kept quiet after taking coffee, that was a great acknowledgement.'If Rangu thatha keeps quiet, coffee should be really good' was the comment by one and all.
    Silence was a great acknowledgement, whenever he visited us.
    jayasala 42

Thyagarajan, Amica, Rihana and 2 others like this.
  3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I just acknowledged, with a present, a young student who worked on a project for me .......... ummm ... in 2007-8.
    :facepalm:

4. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya, in any era, a girl would never impetuously tear to bits even the most alarmingly trite and ungrammatical letter without first exhibiting it to all her cohorts about her another emerging aashique, tossing it frivolously aside like a goose-feathered pillow, only to pick up unnoticed, then reading it extensively under her blanket with a torch at midnight, followed by the unrequited auto-da-fe or à la shredder the next morning, eagerly awaiting the next letter from that persistent aashique since the knock-back. Did he write another? Men know so little about what a woman dotes ..insistence over indolence!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Dearest @Rihana What a fabulous post and what interesting responses have ensued! From the time I read your post, every day after I have thought of this a few times each day! I have thought about how so many squabbles and relationships could have been taken aback from turning sour - with just enough acknowledgements from both sides.

As a good "sishya" - I am consciously putting your reminder in to practice in every little interaction I have - be it family or friend.

My first reaction to your post was - would @Rihana be my child's god parent - she has/knows everything I want to know and more and says it so beautifully! And then I said - Wait, would @Rihana just be my own god parent?! (even though we are of the same generation +/- 5 years I am guessing) :)

Anyway, this afternoon I realized how much I liked your post and this thread - but I didn't have anything of "value" to add to it and hence didn't say anything - but, but, but, yes of course, I had to come back and ack how much it made a difference to me! :-D Thank you, thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

P.S. Please post any more "drafts" you may have. These are gems that need to see the light of day. And the fact that you have your personal *drafts* - amazing!! I will try that too. :-D

Amica, Rihana and shyamala1234 like this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

We have seen in umpteen number of movies.... girl and boy at loggerheads with each other in the beginning, then fall in love..... happily married.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Viswa. I was hoping you'd read and not miss due to your busy trip. "I understand what you are going through" - easily one of the acknowledgement to avoid! Glad you mentioned it.
    True. The Like button is a great way to acknowledge a writing. I am lucky I posted snippet when you happen to have popped in to IL. : )

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Rihana

True. Just an acknowledgement can do so much. No need for apologies or falling on feet and begging for forgiveness. : )

Thank you for the response, startinganew, and for the kind words. I took time to reply as I was blushing. : )

9. Rihana

Yes, Kamalji is missed many times when the topic is one that he would have commented eloquently and pithily on.
    At least there was some conclusion....... : )

Thank you, Vani. True, we have to remind ourselves. It is so easy to forget such small things like acknowledgement.. maybe because it is voluntary and not required as such.

girvani likes this.
  10. Rihana

Well put as only you can.

: ) True but why would one want to be indifferent? : )

Thank you, Novalis. Aap aaye bahaar aayi. You brought spring(?) Your response has added chaar chaand (4 moons) to the thread. I am going to read the above, a phrase, a sentence at a time, like a child saves squares of a Nestle chocolate.