1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On Acknowledgement

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rihana, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana
    What a marvelous writeup! I just nodding my head while reading entire snippet. Hope everyone understands the importance of Acknowledgement.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Rihana,
    Simple acknowledgement goes a long way in paving relationships and home and would be more beautiful place to live. But many times we do not do it. Why? Lady who cooks wants only a little acknowledgement. It makes us also feel good.
    Syamala

Thyagarajan, Afresh and Rihana like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the response, Geeta. To "soothe years of unrest." So well put. It reminded me of some couples in our extended family where the man or the woman had been difficult to live with all their lives. The erring person would not acknowledge his/her difficult nature even after decades, but other relatives would provide it by saying, "Only x/y could put up with you, anyone else would have left you long ago."

Exactly. Do not take a person's goodness as your birthright. I will stop here or it will become another snippet "taking the goodness of others as your birthright". And it wouldn't be limited to the usual suspects in-laws taking DIL for granted.

Thank you joylokhi. I was reading some blogs on the history of the Indian postal service and came across the first acknowledgement due card and how they have changed over the 150+ years. Often the postman himself helps the recipient to fill or sign the AD card. It struck me that often this is what human beings crave from their family and friends.

Thyagarajan, Afresh and joylokhi like this.
  4. Rihana

Thank you Ma'am. Thank you for the response and for the anecdote and so many observations that touch the heart or open our eyes.

It is a notion not that well covered, and also, there is tendency to look down upon those who seek acknowledgement of any kind. Those seeking acknowledgement can be viewed as petty, keeping score, not able to take the high road, or not having a big heart or not being forgiving enough.

This was one thing I tried to include in the snippet but could not find the right words and so used examples like child with homework, stay-at-home-mom, etc. You have said it well: "when a person acknowledges his/her weakness of irritable character... that the irritable behavior has really been part of him/her....."

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Rihana

Thyagi, thank you for the response.

Your posts and responses are always unique. : ) And I always look to see how you will invoke God at the end of almost each of your posts.

Thank you Afresh. It is indeed universal. I sometimes wonder if an acknowledgement is easier to give, and of a finer/higher level in human interaction than an apology? Acknowledgement is lighter than an apology... That is a compare and contrast for another day.

Thank you for nominating the snippet for FP. Truth be told, I wrote it some weeks ago. It had a 'heavy' and 'dark' tone to it, I thought, so didn't post. Then, life happened last weekend, and I acknowledged to the better half, as I often do, that he is a saint and I am a rhymes-with-brew and how difficult it must be to live with me. He usually doesn't respond, but this time said, "So why don't you try to change the brew-ness?" I was suitably aghast and astounded at the suggestion and said, "But why would I! Take the compliment, be happy. Don't push your luck." : )

And then dug it up from the drafts and posted it.

startinganew, Thyagarajan and Afresh like this.
  6. Rihana

True. The most taking for granted happens in the closest relationships. There should be no need to keep thanking in such relationships, but, an occasional or periodic acknowledgement does make the heart feel so much lighter and happier.

Thank you Mistt. Spring is the season.. I hope to acknowledge nature's gifts to us with more use of the camera. : )

Yes. Lady who cooks wants a little acknowledgment. A little attention to the trouble she went to, and finding something specific to mention... I actually do a little experimenting sometimes. Do people appreciate compliment more or an acknowledgement of their trouble, effort, toil, more. If a person's job keeps them standing all day, or if a person's job needs lot of patience, noticing that makes them feel more valued.

Thyagarajan, Mistt and joylokhi like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

A wonderful snippet @Rihana .
    Acknowledgement is another one of those basic courtesies that are dying in the current society.

I was appalled when one of our relatives said, "we should not say thanks to family!". Family, friend, strangers... it should not matter.

You said it right that such a small gesture means so much for the recipient.

8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

:) Thank you, Rihana for acknowledging my clicks even though they aren't much worthy. I have also started to looking for cherry blossoms, greenery and will post them for sure.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rihana,

Your snippets are well thought out and always unique. Appreciation/Acknowledgement comes naturally to those who always think from the shoes of others. As you rightly said, mostly it lacks only among the closest. Love in action should be acknowledged through gratitude in action. Body language itself speaks volume among spouses when they express gratitude. But it needs a perfect understanding.

There are some acknowledgments that are strict no and they create more pain and suffering. Example, when someone is going through severe health issue, loss of the dearest or any other unbearable suffering, it is not appropriate to say, "I understand what you are going through".

Viswa

Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Rihana,

How can I not acknowledge such a lovely post? Loved reading it. Stopping to acknowledge someone's act is a wonderful trait to have and yes, you are right it has to be heartfelt. One of good friends in my very young days had said this to me - it is always wonderful to acknowledge something when one is invited to someone's home. I have made it a point to do that and i am happy to say that it has been genuine and well received and I have made some good friends because that. It always shows that I care! As I age, I also realize that while I love doing it, I have to learn not to expect the same from others and criticizing is way easier than acknowledging and appreciating. There are certain things i do because I want to and no matter. That said, my favorite sentence in the whole write up is this -

Loved the way you have put it and you know what it takes a different kind of person to acknowledge that! Some of us are more fortunate than others. For me, in IL the best way to acknowledge someone's writing is that 'like' button - I do love the like button! Yes, yes give me one and I shall continue to give as many as I can too!