1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

On A Train Journey

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by blackbeauty84, Jul 2, 2018.

1. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I climbed down the stairs slowly with my heavy laptop bag. Being a habitual punctual person, I reached the railway station well ahead of time and settled in my usual bench. Sky surprised with a sudden spell of rain. Sudden rain, mesmerizing petrichor glazed the otherwise dull morning with a romantic effect.

It was then I noticed her sitting in my bench. Since I used the train to commute I know many of the regular passengers and my favorite was this school girl and her classmate. I knew some love was brewing between them. I so love that stage in any relationship…The stage when you crave to see the person and get butterflies every time your eyes lock with the person. The stage when you scribble his name in notebook; the stage where you love thinking about him yet feel guilty whiling away your time in dreams.

I observed that the girl was angry and the boy was trying to calm her down. As the boy sat next to her, she got up sat at my other side and told me

‘Ask him to leave.’ She grabbed my hand. The boy felt embarrassed and left the place.

‘What happened?’ I asked her.

‘He promised he will start studying well. But he hasn’t touched the book yesterday. They won’t promote him if he fails this year.’ She said. ‘He gets angry and changes the subject whenever I raise it.’ It was very clear to me that she cared for him in a special way and demanded the same from him. I told her to go easy on him and not pressurize him like his parents or teachers do.

My colleague Santosh reached the station as the train was about to reach the platform.

We found Vinod seated in his usual seat and took the seats next to him.Vinod is a senior person working in our office. He is one of the knowledgeable, positive and cheerful person I have ever met.

‘What were you talking to that school kid?’ Santosh asked as the train moved.

‘I think she is in love with the boy. She is worried about his studies.’ I replied explaining about the small incident.

‘You know these school love, first love everything is absurd. Marriage life is so different. You end up wondering whether you married the same person or not. ‘’ Santosh exclaimed. He married his school sweet heart recently and couldn’t handle the transformation well.

By then Santosh got a call from his wife and went to empty corner of train. From his face reactions we knew it’s one another fight between them.

‘Hmmm…I sometimes wonder why love life and married life are different’ I spoke to Vinod in low life.

‘It is different and has to be different.’ Vinod declared.

How can living with a person you know for years, is any different?’

‘What were you working as when you joined the company?’ Vinod asked suddenly

‘I was doing a typical fresher job- doing whatever I was asked to do.’ I responded.

‘And now?’ he asked

‘Now I’m a team leader.. where in ‘ I was interrupted by Vinod.

‘It requires different skill set isn’t? Vinoth asked

‘These are different stages in professional life. How can that be equal to love and married life?’ I asked unable to understand the point.

‘Be it anything, every stage in life requires a different version of yourself. Once you understand that everything will be easy.’ Vinod said firmly.

Our conversation was disturbed by the next set of passengers entering the train. Soon I had to travel to a client place and I forgot completely about the girl. I came to railway station after three months and felt comforted by seeing the same familiar faces.

That school girl entered the platform and smiled at me.

‘Where is that boy? Is he concentrating in studies now?’ I asked.

‘He became School pupil leader two months back.’ I could see her cheeks getting red while talking about the boy. ‘Post which he started concentrating in studies, in the last test he passed in all subjects.’ She said proudly. I saw the boy entering the platform and I could see the spark in girl’s eye. I was glad that this cute love story is going in the right direction.

Santosh and train arrived at the same time.

‘Long time..we missed you.’ Vinod said as we took our seats.

‘I think she missed those school kids more than us. I saw her talking to those kids just now.’ Santhosh teased.

‘All is well there.’ I said , explaining the conversation I had with the girl.

‘Know what ? We went to our hometown this weekend for school reunion and visited our school. Going through the school memories made me realize I still love her like I did when I first saw her. I’m consciously trying to avoid the fights.’ He paused and looked at us.

‘That’s awesome, though we will miss the daily entertainment.’ Vinod teased him.

By then Santosh got a call from his wife and went to empty corner of train. I don’t know whether there is a different version of him, but I was able to see him smiling during the conversation.

This is another beautiful stage in love…realizing you still love the person crazy as you saw her the first time.

2. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

3. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Written and described everything very beautifully. Really like your way of writing. Keep it up.

4. blackbeauty84

Many thanks CreativeMumma

5. blackbeauty84

Thanks a ton messed up for generous feedback.

messedup likes this.
  6. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Lovely writing enjoyed it

7. muggs

muggs Gold IL'ite

Beautifully written...

8. blackbeauty84

Thanks Hazelpup. Have a nice day ahead.

HazelPup likes this.
  9. blackbeauty84

Thanks Muggs. Glad you liked it.

10. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Very nice writeup blackbeauty84. People may change, but love remains the same!