1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oliver & I

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Oliver once took aeviternal time to go around our sub-division which normally takes about 7 minutes for me every morning. My walk schedule is an hour or 8 laps around the sub-division. Mostly, everyone who goes to work at that time would know my schedule. Somehow, this hour worth of walking would someday make me afflatus is my belief and I don’t want to give up that thought as it is a great motivation for me to exercise. After getting enough motivation from specific individuals who write here in IL about being in the present, nowadays, I experience total amnesia. There is definitive value to be thoughtless and observant.

But this snippet is not about me but Oliver. My neighbor who wanted to enjoy the snow mountains for a week requested me whether I could look after Oliver for a week. I immediately nodded my head affirmatively as I get one week of special time with Oliver. Somehow, I had a bond with Oliver ever since he migrated from California in a huge trailer truck. In our sub-division, no one passes our neighbor’s house without inquiring the well-being of Oliver. He is white, huge and has a very attractive nose that would make anyone fall in love with him especially children in our neighborhood. In fact, our neighbors have put up a flag on top of their roof to indicate he lives in their house.

My neighbor gave me instruction as to what Oliver eats and two meal times as 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. She showed the measuring vessel and asked me to give one-half in that vessel. When I inquired further about his plate, she explained he prefers to eat from the ground. We both laughed knowing the nature of Oliver. Normally, she chooses to give these kind of assignments to my son regularly but knowing that he never wakes up at 8 a.m. any day, she decided to entrust me with this responsibility. Cold weather in the morning and the need to feed Oliver at 8 a.m., made me change my walk routine to after 8 a.m.

Normally, my neighbor’s children make a lot of noise and play around the pool area and Oliver used to have a lot of company almost all day. Knowing fully well that he must be feeling very lonely, I decided to stay a few more minutes to give him company after feeding him every morning and night. I really enjoyed his response in the form of grunting when I greet him, “Hi Oliver, how are you doing?” He lives in a small wooden house custom-built for him covered with asbestos. He lies down in the bed of hay and eats that too every now and then (Who eats their own bed?) Even though I was told Oliver could eat vegetable peels, I was little nervous about giving him anything other than his routine food in order not to hurt his health.

Generally, he welcomes me with his usual grunt and begins walking in an artificial lane back and forth and until I get close to him. It must be hard for him to walk at that pace with his 300+ pounds weight. As soon as I pour his feed into the hay, he will begin to chew in an aggressive pace. He prefers to hunt for his feed and therefore, I drop the feed around him. We converse for a while in a very colloquial language that only two of us could understand. I talked to myself how Oliver should be facing this cold weather and then got the answer in my head it would probably take at least a day before any cold weather could penetrate his skin. By the time Sun would be shinning brightly.

Probably, my neighbors will be back either today or tomorrow. Even I left the Hospice 15 minutes earlier to meet and feed Oliver. That is the kind of bond we have built between ourselves. I worship Oliver so much everyday and he even comes in my dreams. Sometimes, I visualize him lifting the planet earth from the bottom of the sea after the demon Hiranyaksha dragged it to the bottom of the sea. Yes, I see Oliver as avatar of Maha Vishnu. I know I haven’t done enough punya in this life but there is a chance because of my past punyas, Varahamurthy might one day change into his Anantashayana pose of Maha Vishnu with His wife Maha Lakshmi and Adi Shesha and bless me with abundant grace. The other option is for everyone who reads this snippet reciting Vishnu Sahasranamam at least once as a help to Viswa, for him to get an opportunity for this dharshan.