1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Old habits die hard..

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by geetadamle, Nov 3, 2010.

1. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    Till 2 years ago I had some interesting habits and I was living comfortably with those. I would like to share them with you. Believe it or not, I was like this before I started my journey.. Let me know if you ever had the same experiences..

1. WATER :
    Before I started my journey, I rarely remember drinking water regularly. I used to wake up thirsty at night about once a week and drink a glass of water. That's it. No water during the day, before or after meals. Sounds silly right? But yes, this is true. Results were very obvious. I used to have acidity all the time. In the mornings I used to vomit daily. Never felt energetic. I used to misunderstand my thirst as my hunger and used to eat instead of drinking water. I used to lose my temper over small things and never understood the root cause. Most of the times it was because I was thirsty.

2. PORTIONS OF FOOD :
    I was raised in a relatively large family. We were 4 children, my parents, grandfather, aunt. My father always purchased the groceries in bulk (because bulk items were cheaper). My mother had to cook in bulk and obviously we always ate in bulk :)
    My father used to bring 100 idlis for sunday breakfast. (100 idlis were for Rs 30 at that time any lesser number of idlis would cost 50 paisa each idli). I used to eat at least 10 idlis. And I am not exaggerating. 3 veggie puffs at a time out of 24 for the family. My father used to make mouthwatering bhel at home. He used to buy a sack of murmuras, 2 kg farsan for the bhel. We used to enjoy 4-5 plates. That was our dinner sometimes. As a child, I was a big fan of vada-pav. I used to gulp down at least 2 to 3 vada-pav at a time.
    Sometimes when I used to attend wedding lunches with my family, I used to prefer sitting next to my father. He is famous for eating a lot. Our relatives used to challenge him to eat 50 gulabjamuns or 25 ladoos or just 10 katoris of shrikhand and he used to readily accept the challenge. I used to sit next to him and finish at least half of what he had. Then we used to feel full for the entire day and skip all other meals (supper/dinner) for rest of the day.
    These things may sound crazy, but they are true. I could eat as much as I wanted and would never feel full.

3. HOME COOKED MEAL Vs OUTSIDE FOOD
    As a family we never used to dine out in a restaurant, but yes we certainly used to have lots of food from outside. Some of the regular stuff that we had was vada-pav, jelebi, dhokala, idli, veg-puff, gulabjamun, farsan, samosa and the list goes on.
    For our large family my mother had to make kilos of shrikhand, khoa burfi, basundi, kheer during festival time and family-craving times.
    Sometimes my mother would cook healthy wholesome meal at home and my father would bring some hot goodies while coming home from work and we would pounce on those. My moms efforts and food used to go waste. As a child I never understood the value of home-cooked meal. The health, the love and the satisfaction that a home cooked meal has to offer, cannot match any store brought goodies.

4. SPICE LEVEL IN FOOD
    In my family everyone loves spicy food and I used to love eating extra extra spicy right from childhood. I used to eat raw green chillies, super spicy bhel, super hot chillies with extra hot wada pav. To top this off, I had the awful habit of not drinking water. And I was always proud that I could eat spicy stuff. All this lead to continuous acidity. Till before 2 yrs ago don't remember a single day when I have not vomited on waking up. Thanks to my habits.

5. FRUITS
    "Are fruits meant to be eaten if we have so much other good stuff like sweets and savory snacks available in the world?" This is what I used to tell my mother each time she used to offer me a chickoo or a piece of mango or watermelon or guava. I never enjoyed eating fruits. I used to find some excuse or the other to avoid eating fruits. I had never eaten a banana by itself till before 2 yrs ago. Of course I have had lots of banana chips till date :)

6. VEGETABLES
    I had my favorite vegetables. I used to love baingan(egg plant). I used to demand for eggplant subji all the time.. that too made in the specific way that I like.. (stuffed eggplant). My sister's favorite was bhendi. I never used to even look or touch bhendi subji when it was made because I thought mom loves her more today so she made my sister's favorite subji.
    Same used to go for other subjis. I hated eating leafy greens, salads, raw veggies like cucumber, tomato. I always wanted something fiery hot, oily and masaledaar.

7. EXERCISE AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
    Modestly speaking I was the most intelligent student in my class. I always stood first and won most of the interschool drawing competitions. But I was 0 when it came to physical education. I used to drag myself through Physical training classes in school, used to hate Sports days and mass exercising days. Never took part in any interschool langdi, kho-kho or dodge ball competitions. I had very low energy when it came to sports and physical activities. The only prize that I have ever won in sports is 2nd prize in 100 mts running in second standard. Most other times, I was always the extra player in all team sports.

There must be several questions in your mind.. why am I here? what do I have to share? Was I ever obese? Is my family obese? What changes have I done to my life now? How was my journey?

You will find out all the answers and much more in my coming posts.. so stay tuned ... :thumbsup

-GEETA
    You choose your destiny with your decisions
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi geeta,
    Interesting post. Waiting for your next posts.

3. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

Hey Saarang, Thanks for the kind words... Stay tuned :)

4. Perfectionist

Perfectionist Senior IL'ite

Hi geeta,

I am also on my weight loss journey..

Your post made me thinking about my habit of drinking water very less. I need to seriously remember that i need to have water.

Waiting for your next post...

5. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

Dear Perfectionist.. Thankyou for reading my post :) Its good to know that you are woring on improving your fitness level.. Always remember that you are not alone in this journey .. Good Luck and Stay tuned :)

6. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Dear geetha

interesting post. enjoyed reading ur habits. I too agree with you in some points like avoid taking fruits when so many sweets and snacks r available.

Now i changed the habit completely. waiting for ur other posts.

andal

7. Monsi

Monsi Bronze IL'ite

Dear Geetha, The way you explained yours and your family's eating habits.. i wonder how your parents maintained to be fittest (as you described)... But I think olden days people had different life style than us... they had to do much much more physical activities than us... so they could digest well whatever they ate and also burn loads of calories gained out of it and hence remained healthy...
    Anyhow... waiting for your next posts...
    Regards,
    Monsi

8. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

@swati14 : Its good to know that you are improving on ur habits.. Small steps make a big difference.. Keep going girl!

9. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

Dear Monsi.. You are right.. Earlier generations had totally different lifestyle.. As I said, my father used to ride bike daily for hours together to reach suburbs of Pune . He has been doing this for 34 years until he got retired last year.. Mom works so hard for the family.. Forgot to mention, we always had pets at home.. At one time we had 8 dogs.. Mom used to make chapatis for all of them as well as for the family.. I have never seen her wake up after 6 am or doze of in the afternoon.. She is always on her toes working in the kitchen or cleaning the house..So I guess that counts towards her health :) Stay tuned for more..
    -Cheers
    Geeta

10. Gaur78

Gaur78 Gold IL'ite

Old habits die hard........ Very interesting. But if we make a change it will die off soon. Drinking less water,spicy food, avoiding fruits and vegetables will end up in health related problems.

Now I'm curious to read your upcoming blogs!!!!!